Oblivion questions and stuff

Discussion in 'Software' started by nezuto, May 21, 2012.

1. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

I'm relatively new to this site, but have always gotten really good info and there's something that I've been wondering about and hoped someone could help with. I apologize in advance if I'm posting this thread in the wrong section, but here's my question. I'm supposed to be getting elder scrolls 4 goty edition on or around saturday and I've checked that my system meets all requirements, but I was wondering this; will it run on a Samsung CD-Rom SN-124 or is there any way to get something that would run it, if it can't?

Thanks in advance =3

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum:)

If the game is a CDrom your Cdrom will be able to read it,if the game is a DVD you won't be able to install it so check the format of the game before you purchase or receive it.

Reference

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/9396P/En/specs.html

To install it you will have to upgrade your Cdrom to a DVD drive,I have a copy and its DVD I don't think they released it on Cdrom.

There is another way though you could open a steam account and purchase the game via download.

I noticed the cdrom is for a an old laptop the readme is dated 2002,Dell is it? Even though Oblivion is an old game "2006" you will still struggle to play it on an laptop without a dedicated video card irrelevant of what the minimum specs are and certainly not on a laptop made 4 years before the game was released.

If I'm way out on this ignore.

3. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

Actually, it's a 2010 desktop with a P4. And I would purchase it via download, but unfortunately, my girlfriend and I don't use credit cards or Paypal. I have to admit, it's a recycled PC, so that may stand to reason why the CD-Rom is outdated like that. Everything else on the game does meet the requirements on a very decent level, I made to sure to check all of that first, until I noticed the cdrom. Also, thanks for welcoming me to the forums, I've always come on here to find info for the tech I'm unsure about and have found this place friendly and good =3 Sorry if my posting is a bit ramble-like, I'm operating off little sleep due to a newborn, lol

4. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

Ack, working off very little sleep has my mind shot, so I'm not too sure if my quick reply posted....but it's a desktop from around 2010 with a P4 and it isrecycled,so that's more likely the reason it's an outdated cdrom. I would definately download via net, but my girlfriend and I don't use credit cards/debit/paypal. Thanks for the welcome to the forum, it's always been a great resource for me to read through and figured I should go ahead and join finally, lol. Again, I apologize about everything if this double posts because I'm on little sleep from taking care of a newborn.

5. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

I may be able to do the download after all. I just ran that thing called can you run it to see if it'll run properly and it says my only problem is this --> Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset <-- that happens to be what I have...I'm guessing it's a no go again v.v

6. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

Otherwise, I have a 2010 desktop, not a laptop and it has a P4...it's recycled, so that may be the reason the cdrom sucks so bad. I'm glad I finally joined this forum, I knew I'd find some useful information and help here, thanks =3

7. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Welcome to the forums nezuto :)

You keep saying it's a "2010" machine, but with a P4?, that doesn't ring very true to me since P4's are pretty old chips.

Download and install this...

http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html

Then post your specs.

CPU
    GPU
    RAM
    Optical Drive
    Operating System.

Then we can work it out properly :)

8. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

Sorry I got back to it a bit late and I have to admit, I didn't realize I had wrote about it being a 2010 with a P4 until I read it again after getting some sleep,lol. That was my mistake, but here are the specs

Operating System
    MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4 530
    Prescott 90nm Technology
    RAM
    1.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 199MHz (3-3-3-8)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0D7726 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    COMPAQ MV700 (1024x768@75Hz)
    Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Hard Drives
    39.1GB Seagate ST340014AS (SATA) 40 °C
    Optical Drives
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124
    Audio
    Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

9. Rikky

Well your cpu should be fine its just slower than my AMD 3500+ and I could run it at almost max,you have enough memory 1gb same as I had.

The problem as you've noticed is your video card or lack thereof,you won't be able to play it on that integrated video card.

So can you install a video card? Can you post the name of the computer does it say on the front Dell optiplex 00?? I think it might be a dell optiplex GX280 based on the integrated video card and the motherboard chipset.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx280/en/ug/specs02.htm

In speccy is there any other information regarding the motherboard,computer model or the number of expansion slots PCI-E X??? Could you create a report in speccy and upload it as an attachment,remove any user information such as computer name if you wish.

If it is a dell optiplex gx280 it does have a PCIX16 slot which means you can install pretty much any video video card,you wouldn't need to spend much at all to make oblivion run.

10. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

Sadly, it doesn't have a label that says anything like that anywhere and the information from speccy doesn't say, either. All I got is the model and serial numbers on the side of it and this is the motherboard information from speccy

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    Model 0D7726 (Microprocessor)
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model i915P/i915G
    Chipset Revision B1
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model 82801FB (ICH6)
    Southbridge Revision 03
    BIOS
    Brand Dell Inc.
    Version A03
    Date 09/17/2004
    PCI Data
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI_1
    Slot Number 0
    Slot UNKNOWN
    Slot Type UNKNOWN
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width Unknown
    Slot Designation PEG
    Slot Number 1

11. Rikky

12. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

Ah, it says that the model is exactly the one you guessed,the optiplex gx280, that's at least some good news

13. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

i believe this has all the info, thanks for all the help so far..kinda sad to do this all for an epic game,lol.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
  14. Rikky

What does Sandra? Can you post the report?

BTW your computer is from 2004-05,this is a tricky year as it's the same time PCI-E was launched so it's important to know if the slot is AGP or PCI-E.

Assuming it does have a PCI-E slot a simple Geforce 210 will give playable frame rate in Oblivion,the alternative offering from AMD is the Radeon HD5450.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-amd/amd-radeon-hd5450-pci-e-(80-cores)

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nvidia/nvidia-geforce-210-pci-e-(16-cores)

If you want to spend a little more you could go for the GT520.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-palit-gt-520-ddr3-silent-vga-hdmi-dvi-i

Your limited by your cpu,memory and power supply so you don't want a card that needs an extra power connector as you could could burn your power supply out and your CPU and memory will bottleneck a more expensive card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb2BM0cYFWo

15. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

I managed to get the full thing to post,but it says my post has to be reviewed by moderators before being visible,so I had to do that short post ^^;

note:I just checked under expansion slots through sandra and it says it's pciex16 +3.3v pme full available and above that says pci 32bit +5v +3.3v full available...thanks for being so patient with me on this. I know a little regarding computers, but when it comes to the hardware, I'm virtually an idiot,lol

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  16. Rikky

My fault I should have said attachment,well you definitely have a PCI-E X 16 slot so your good to get a video card as far as I'm concerned.

If you cannot download Oblivion you will need a desktop "SATA" DVD drive,these are ten a penny honestly you should be able to pick one up for $5-10 and very easy to fit just two plugs and it should work,I would get a used DVD drive from anywhere you can get a cheap one.

There are two kinds of connectors for CDROM/DVD drives SATA and IDE.

IDE is two inches wide and a SATA connector is about half an inch,make a note of the size when you remove the drive if you wish to do a direct swap.

Your computer has both SATA and IDE so you should be able to use any drive you can find,SATA is the newest and will probably be the easiest to find and what I would recommend but its up to you.

It's no problem that's what we're here for:) Thanks for saying thanks,not everyone does:)

17. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

So my next question would be this. Would it be a bit more cost effective to go with the SATA DVD drive or just say screw it and get the card? the cards you showed me are relatively cheap,although I had to search for the american versions and the prices on them are very similiar. But that would be the cost of the card and the game as opposed to buying that SATA DVD drive and the game....hmm...I can't help but feel a little dumb for going through all this for a game,but I'ma gamer to the end,lol.

18. Rikky

Downloading the game from Steam and buying the card,its also less work.

19. nezuto

nezuto Private E-2

Alrighty then, sounds like a plan to me, even my girlfriend agrees that it sounds like a pretty good and cost effective choice,lol. Again, thank you for the help, I really do appreciate it and I am also thankful to have learned a bit more in regards to not only my hardware, but also about hardware in general. I'm hoping to be able to learn more from you guys in general because I love electronics and I really would like to learn more about them. Thank you =3

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds