Move email from one computer to another ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pervinrs, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Pervinrs

Pervinrs Private E-2

I am trying to move my email messages from one computer to another. I have already exported/imported the address book. I am not having luck with the messages. Can anyone help?? Also I have created numerous folders in my email and was wanting to keep them and send them to the new computer also. Again, can anyone help ? Am not having any luck here.
    Thanks!

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

what are you using, outlook?

3. Pervinrs

Pervinrs Private E-2

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook Express

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

There are .PST files that Outlook express uses to store the emails. You need to copy the PST file to your other machine and point your Outlook Express to it. All of your email and folders will appear.

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

6. Pervinrs

Pervinrs Private E-2

thanks for the help, i or we will give it a try.

7. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

That KB article is way more than you need to solve your issue so if its too complicated we can whittle away the excess stuff.

Basically we need to save off your PST file and use Outlook expresses IMPORT function to bring the email into your new machines Outlook.

8. Pervinrs

Pervinrs Private E-2

YES we are having problems....can we do like you said and start whittling away the stuff i don't need? thanks

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

On the old machine, start Outlook express, and then in Tools, Options, on the Maintenance tab, there's a button labeled Store Folder. Click that and it will show you the location of the containing your email folder.

Copy the entire contents of that directory to a floppy, CD-ROM, or flash drive.

Take the floppy or whatever to the new machie and copy it to a new directory called c:\newone

Start up Outlook Express on the new machine, and we'll just reverse the process.

Select File, Import, Messages.... Choose Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and press Next. Select Import mail from an OE6 store directory and press Next. Now on the next screen, browse to the c:\newone location where you've placed the message store we saved from your old machine. Import, and your messages should now be transferred.

Note: if you've copied your mail folders to a CD-R, you'll need to first copy them to your local hard disk, and then unmark them from being read-only before you import. OE will not open read-only folders.

Now the address book is a different matter and we'll deal with that once you have sucessfully copied over the message store.

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

All comments on PST files should be ignored here. Outlook uses PST files; Outlook Express does not. Outlook Express messages are stored in .dbx files.

Follow the procedure recommended by jconstan. That should get you where you want to be.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds