Microsoft Security Essentials - new AV from Microsoft

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Microsoft has decided to release a broad, easy to use antivirus/antispyware program, and it's going to be free. You can see screenshots and read a review at this link. The 'official' release date for the beta is June 23 2009 (tomorrow), but I hear it has already been 'leaked'. Anyway- it looks promising. It will be available for W7 and Vista in 32bit and 64bit versions, plus a 32bit version for XP will also be available. And the downloads will be small! Less than 8mb for the 32bit Vista/W7 version, and less than 4mb for the others.
    :cool

[dlb]

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yeah it's one and the same AV from Microsoft.

Guess it'll be a dressed down free version of the soon to be defunct Windows Live OneCare Security Suite (paid)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=191641

3. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

This sounds like it could confuse some people into thinking they are getting a complete AV for their computer, don't ya think? I mean, sure we can read it, but some won't, and think they can get the 'freebie' and they will be covered... A very scary thought......rolleyes

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

I won't be downloading it in Beta or any other version until it is appraised by AV Comparatives and is doing well compared to other freebies AV's on their list. Of course, MG's votes as yays or nays would count as well. :-D

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

LOL I think it's safe to say "but MOST won't".

Seems a bit early to throw in the towel. I'll definitely try it out on one (or more) of the infected PCs I deal with on a daily basis. And I'll also install it on a clean/freshly formatted PC just to see how it can handle itself....

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to get the download of MSEbeta from Microsoft. I signed up for the beta, I'm already a member with a valid account, but I can't seem to get the download..... anyone have a link?

After some Googling, it appears that it is no longer available from Microsoft and the beta test program is no longer accepting applicants (even though I was able to sign up for it and given a "Download Microsoft Security Essentials Now" link). The only place I found an accessible download was at a 3rd party site. It wasn't some shady site and it's known to have safe software, but I won't be posting the name here since I have no idea about the rules at MG (and Microsoft) about posting links to MS betas that are not available from Microsoft....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds