What's Everyone Reading?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spock96, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hey Fellow Geeks,
    I'm just bored as of now and was wondering what everyone was reading and if there's anything work picking up?
    I just finished The Planet Pirates by, Anne McCaffrey, Elisabeth Moon, and Jody Lynn Nye. Very well written books great story and just a great read :). During my reading of the planet pirates I picked up A Child Called It by, Dave Pelzer. Now this book is just...Well I don't really know to describe it. I guess it's one of those "read for yourself" kind of thing. Very good Book as well. And currently I'm reading Spirit Gate(book 1 of the Crossroads Series) by, Katie Elliott. I'm hardly into the book at all so I can't say if it's good or not.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have liked Anne McAffrey for a long time, like 40 years or so!:-D I'm going to check it out man! I just love the Pern series! Pick up John Varley, his short story 'Persistance of Vision', just blew me away at least! I'm not into recent sci-fi/fantasy yet, I'm in Harry Potter mode ATM.:-d

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I read Anne McCaffrey's Dragons of Pern series, but have never heard of that one.

I just finished Roboapocolypse by Daniel Wilson. An easy read, but I have to say it was very enjoyable.

My next read is probably going to be "A Game of Thrones"

4. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

5. Spock96

@augie--I'll look into it :).

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I am currently reading TC Southwells books about the Queen's Blade. Because i just can't resist sociopathic killers with flair and style. :)

Also working my way through Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, one by one.

7. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I read that. It was one of the saddest books I think that I ever read but since you have that one, you should totally read The Lost Boy and A Named Dave both very good.

I haven't read anything new lately, I haven't been able to get to a bookstore or library, so I've been reading some of my old books. Namely, Robert Ludlum's Covert-One series, I could (and have) read these books over again with out getting bored of them. I just wish they could come out with new books in this series but it's kinda hard when the author is dead. :-D

I've been wanting something new to read for a while, I might just have to save up a few bucks and either head to the bookstore or finally pay the library what I owe LOL

8. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I just finished Naked Brunch by Sparkle Hayter. Unfortunately, I have to give it a yawn. It really wanted to be an amusing look at werewolves in the style of Christopher Moore, but it failed. Ah well, better luck with the next one. :)

9. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

This is better. I just finished Impact by Douglas Preston. It was a very quick read, but it was really hard to put down. Not necessarily a believable premise, yet there were enough things that just could be possible that it sucked me in and wouldn't let go.

10. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Game of thrones was good laura, and Dresden Files were/is/are awesome!

11. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Get hooked on Pratchett. You'll never go back.

Now's the time to start reading the Wheel of Time, since book 14 is coming out soon to finish the series. You should be right about done with 13 by the time it comes out. But only if you start today. :D

If you like a little more realisitic, or historical, W.E.B. Griffin is good.

12. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

"The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Have some Clive Barker on order (Abarat part 2) and also some Richard Laymon amongst others.

13. augiedoggie

Pratchett's Discworld was amazing!

I never heard of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., aka Robert Jordan but it sounds intriguing, should last me for the summer.:)

14. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

An Idiot Abroad. The travel diaries of Karl Pilkington. Highly entertaining.

15. Kestrel13!

Well I got 200 pages into this (It's about 1,000 pages all in all) before putting it up for another time. The writer seemed to blather on about alot of stuff that was not in my opinion very relevant to the main plot, I got tired of it... On the other hand Richard Laymon's "In the Dark" is GREAT if you are into horror, blood and gore :-D My favourite horror writer of all has to be Clive Barker, "Weaveworld" being the one I enjoyed most although I have not read everything from Barker.

He wrote a book called Abarat which continues into a series, (only part two has been written so far - three not yet been done) absolutely wonderful book which was not all about horror, blood and gore suprisingly for Barker. That's the beauty of him, he is so versatile. "Galilee" is another example of what I just described...again, nothing to do woth horror, I was amazed to see it develop into a bit of a romance, thoroughly enjoyable read, a good long book too if I recall correctly.

Also just gone and treated myself to a kindle, so exploring lots of different authors that I would not normally go for. There's so much available in the free sections at amazon that I have not even begun paying for anything yet :-D

16. LauraR

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie Warby Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks :))

I have no idea why, but I love Zombie stuff. I can't wait for 'The Walking Dead' to come back on.

Next, I'm going to get his book "The Zombie Survival Guide". :-D

17. Kestrel13!

Nice choice Laura :-D I like zombies too.

I am reading The Ritual at the moment by Adam Nevill.

18. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I hate Max Brooks. I really do. Just... he tries really hard to be as funny as his father, and he's... just NOT.

David Eddings was among my favorites growing up. I still enjoy re-reading a lot of his things, particularly the earlier ones.

Incidentally, Terry Brooks is also good reading. Read in the order written first, then go back and read chronologically. It probably won't make a lot of sense until you get to the end of the third read. Just remember knights.

I'd recommend Terry Goodkind, but he's a jerk. Zeddicus is hilarious though.

19. Spock96

20. Mimsy

Hush, by Anne Frasier

21. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Re-reading The Third Secret by Steve Berry - enjoyed his Cotton Malone series of books.

22. Mimsy

Got bored this weekend and started rereading my old Forgotten Realms books. Made it through the Avatar trilogy, then the Dark Elf trilogy, and now working my way through the Icewind Dale trilogy. After that I plan to read War of the Spider Queen.

23. Kestrel13!

Richard Laymon - The Woods are Dark :-D

24. Spock96

Don't have much time to read as of late :cry.
    Way to much going on!

25. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Just finished John Grisham's The Confession - quite a sobering look at the fallacy and inhumanity of the death penalty.

26. Kestrel13!

I'm just about to start a short paperback - Murder.com by Christopher Berry-Dee and Steve Morris.

27. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Holy Shit!!! I've got to re-train my spam filters!

:eek

28. Spock96

I've heard of that one. Never got a chance to read it though.

29. Kestrel13!

:-D It's an interesting read!

30. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

31. augiedoggie

I'm just starting to read 'The House of Silk' by Anthony Horowitz. It's bringing me right back to my high school days of when I first found Arthur Conan Doyle's compilation of all his works. The librarian caught on quick as each week I'd come back in and he'd just stamp the book out to me again and say 'You can't get enough of Sherlock Holmes eh?':-D I loved all 60!

This is the first novel that Doyle's estate has sanctioned. As you can see by the time stamp of this post that I'm up in the middle of the night, however I may still be up when it's first light.:-D Laters.:wave

32. Spock96

I'm a fan of Anthony Horowitz. Though my favorite series of his has come to a close. Could you suggest any of his other works augie?

33. augiedoggie

I can't since I just found the author.;)

34. Spock96

I see.

35. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I've read some weird things lately by following this links to that and then to this on my Nook. Some have been good, some have been terrible.

Right now I'm reading The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. I would not be surprised to find out it was written in the early 80's and pulled out of some trunk somewhere to be revived and published.

It does lend some good insight into living with someone who is bipolar and also being someone who is bipolar. I understand a little better how a tragic death happened to a family i know and how difficult it is to help someone who is bipolar. Without learning a lot about the disorder and without training, it can be impossible to see what is happening.

At some point I had to stop reading through all of the literary quotes. It's been a long time since I was in college and trying to follow the point of all of the literature sited definitely taxed the brain and stopped progress of the story. Otherwise it's a decent read. Not riveting but insightful.

36. tonyhale

tonyhale Lounge Lizard No.2

If you want a real scary story, try The Magdalen Story
    A truth stranger than fiction

37. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I can't possibly recommend Ready Player One by Ernest Cline highly enough. I thought I'd posted it already, but I guess not. It's just an amazing read.

38. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I'm on to Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox. I can't believe what a partier/drinker he was. Who knew that mild mannered Alex P. Keaton was wild!

I think I might be stuck in a mainstream rut. I have one more book after this and them I'm looking for something not on the charts yet.

39. Spock96

I have NO Time to read lately and it BUGS me so much.

40. Mimsy

I've been re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo, again. I love that book. :)

41. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

That is one of my all time favourites! Brilliant.

42. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

The Law of the Razor - Tilly Devine & Kate Leigh: Gang Leaders 1920's - 1930's by Larry Writer.

Its the history of the Razor gang criminal wars, prositutes and Madams from the 1920s and '30s in inner Sydney. We just finished with the TV series here.

It tells the story of the Vice Queens -Tilly Devine and Kate Leigh who, financed by the spoils of illegal drugs, alcohol, prostitution, gambling and extortion, controlled notorious gangsters and some corrupt cops. Some of the honest cops were just as tough and feared as the razor gangs they fought.

Find it interesting reading. I am familar with the whole area which is full of character, a mix of new and old buildings, very close to the City Business District (CBD) and the notorious suburb of Kings Cross - with lots of restaurants, bars and clubs, and a variety of colourful personalities that range from famous to infamous who also live in that surrounding area.

So the whole area was a favourite "stomping ground" for my friends and me during our teenage and adolescent years. Given this background and familiarity of the area, I find the reading quite enjoyable.

43. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Sounds like you are either a "work-a-holic" or a student or both!

44. Kestrel13!

Abarat 2: Days of Magic, Nights of War
    by Clive Barker.

45. LauraR

Weird...I just put this in my Wish List on Amazon for future books I want to read. :) Looks awesome. I think I was looking up 'Read Me' by Neal Stephenson and it was one of the suggestions at the bottom.

46. Spock96

Anyone know of anything good that I could download onto my kindle? I'm outta actual books to read :cry

47. Kestrel13!

Depends what you like and what you are willing to spend. Have you checked out a section you like, for instance Sci Fi or Horror and searched from low to high in price range.... there are many, many free books which you can take a chance on. Then of course if you have money to spend and want to purchase, let us know what you like and we can make suggestions! ;) I'm big into horror, or fantasy mainly but I emjoy reading alot of true life stuff as well.

48. Spock96

I like Fantasy and sci fi stuff among other things.

49. Mimsy

Turing Evolved

Don't let the commercialized short blurb fool you. This book is the kind of deep and thought-provoking that Blade Runner and The Matrix wanted to be. I've re-read it several times since I found it in May.

50. Spock96

Thanks, Mimsy I'll download it and check it out.

PS: have you ever heard of Michael Crichton?
    He wrote:
    Prey--Very good read
    Next--Also very good

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds