PC Case Swap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MEGAMANFRE, Sep 19, 2005.

1. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

I bought an a1130n about a month ago, and what I want to do is swap out the case. My only problem is, I dont know what I need to know to make sure that everything will fit properly. The motherboard I have is the MSI RS480M2/RX480M2 (MS-7093). My whole system specs are here: http://omgwtfgg.com/DesktopReport.htm

What exactly do I need to know to make sure that the motherboard and ports will fit, or is it pretty much universal for all motherboards?

EDIT: My motherboard is here: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=640

2. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Any ATX mobo will fit in any ATX case, any AT motherboard will fit in any AT cases, the motherboard comes with a port adaptor thingy for the back of your case.

3. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

I just wanted to make sure. Thank you tons!

4. zepper

zepper Corporal

That mobo is a microATX size. The external ports arrangement on that mobo is non-standard so the I/O shield that comes with your new case won't work with it. So if the I/O shield in the HP case is not removable and transferable to the new case (it looks like it might be removable from the pix on the HP site), then you will have to get one from MSI. They have a US web site - www.msicomputer.com - with contact info. You can sometimes find I/O shields on eBay, but they are generally very expensive for what they are.

.bh.

5. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Not True!!!

ALL I/O panels are removable, ones that are on pre built comps you have to unscrew off and on, where as newones just snap in.

6. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

Well after waiting for like a week for my case from Newegg, I finally got it.

Overall it wasnt too bad, the panel for the Mobo snapped off (although it was a pain to get it off without bending it much) and snapped in. It was a...snap... once I had everything out. The fitting was perfect, and it gives me a LOT more room. The only problem I had was trying to figure out the pin connections for the USB, power, and audio ports. In all honesty, Im pretty sure I didnt hook up the front audio and the front USB ports correctly. There werent any instructions on my Mobo that dictated what went where, so I kinda had to guess. I did finally get the power button to work (for about half an hour I was using the old switch until I was able to try a few diff configurations, as the wire color wasnt the same for anything) but the front USB and Audio jacks dont work, which is a pain in the ass.

Anyone know if theres a way to hook up a switch to turn off the lights on the case? Theyre nice, but at night, my room is lit up like daylight. Its flashy and all, but not really needed, yet I still wanna be able to show it off if someone looks at it.

Im also wanting to get a front control panel, with temp display and slots for memory sticks, SD cards and all that, plus USB 2.0 (case only has 1.1) and a firewire, maybe fan speeds, but I dont need that. Any ideas on a good one that comes in black?

7. zepper

zepper Corporal

Download the mobo manual from the MSI web site - it will give you the pinouts for the mobo unless they did a custom job for HP. You could also possibly find the specific pinout on the HP site in the tech ref manual for your model.

.bh.

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

As for a LED circuit... you just need to get the cable that powers the LEDs in the case, and put a switch inline with either the +5V or the ground cable - either will do just fine. Not sure where you'd put this, but mounting it in a drive bay spacer wouldn't be a bad idea :) You can get some nice switches from RS or Maplins if you're UK based...

9. zepper

zepper Corporal

As far as the add on stuff, geeks.com has the Soyo Bay One - card reader and ports panel. Then there's the Sunbeam 20-in-one (also sold under the Logisys name).

.bh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds