All programs opening slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by macomber1, Apr 13, 2008.

1. macomber1

macomber1 Private E-2

First time user: I have windows xp sp2, 120 gb hard drive & 256 memory. I have plenty of space left on everything but it takes forever (about 1min.) when I click on a program to open it. Other times it takes even longer. Any ideas on what I can try would be helpfull.
    :confused

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

Had the PC always run like this or was this PC reciently updated to XP?

Cause is likely to be either:

• Your PC has a very limited amount of ram and XP will run more smoothly with around 1GB
    • Do you have multiple security applications installed, if you have 2 or more Antivirus applications this will slow your PC down as they are scanning the files simultaniously, please tell us what security software you have installed and we can advise.
    • Do some basic cleanup steps and defrag the hard drive, this can help and a guide to help you Basic computer maintenance everyone should do
    • Have you run any antivirus scans of your PC to make sure your malware free, malware can cause slowness in PCs

3. macomber1

macomber1 Private E-2

Thanks for the advice, I have copied a copy of my system info. also I have defrag. system, run ccleaner, spybot search & destroy- no major problems found. The only anti-virus program I run is microsoft one car.
    Hope this gives you more info. Aso as you will see I have 512m in menory not 256. Here is copy of Sys. Info.

Thanks for anymore help.
    :)
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DAD
    System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model XPS-Z
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~930 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. A11, 6/11/2002
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name DAD\Larry Macomber
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 131.25 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.59 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

4. macomber1

macomber1 Private E-2

Mark; How do I post that, I can't seem to be able to copy it.

5. macomber1

macomber1 Private E-2

Here is a copy of tools from ccleaner.

Attached Files:

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Your not doing too bad on the startups and ones that I recomend that are not needed and I do not run are,

Nwiz
    NVCPLDaemon
    ~ both are for the Nvidia graphic card settings which can be opened easily from right click > properties on the desktop or Control Panel > Nvidia

AudioHQ ~ is soundcard system tray icon, this also can be opened from the control panel and in the majority of the time we do not change audio or graphic settings much.

TBPanel ~ is from your Gainwood graphic card and again is a menu to settings

Google Desktop Search ~ your choice on this but it will use a fair bit of CPU and Ram up indexing your files.

the others I would leave, if your not happy in fully deleting them in which Ccleaner will do it maybe a good option to use StartupCPL and disable them to see if your PC speeds up any, personally I tend to fully remove startups I do not want.

But do do the cleanup steps I mentioned earlier.

Is XP new to this PC and slowness only noticed reciently? ( notice your CPU is an old one 930mhz. while you above min specs needed, Microsoft were way way undervaluing this figure and more like 1.5ghz+ cpus are needed for some reletive smoothness )

7. macomber1

macomber1 Private E-2

I've had xp on for awhile, but recently had to reformat and startover with ME & then use my xp upgrade disc that's when the slowness started.

8. macomber1

macomber1 Private E-2

attn: Halo, All programs opening slow

I've had xp on for awhile, but recently had to reformat and startover with ME & then use my xp upgrade disc that's when the slowness started.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds