Wireless connects to "ANY!"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by westy420, Oct 11, 2007.

1. westy420

westy420 Private E-2

Hi im running Vista Ultimate and i connect to the internet via a wireless network. The network i normally connect to is set to "connect automatically" and usually just connects to it.

But sometimes when i leave my computer on all day or night il come to it and find it has disconnected from "BT Hub ect" and connected to a network called "ANY!" which doesnt have any encryption or internet acess but has set itself to "connect automatically".

I have NOD32 running constantly and am quite sure i dont have a virus i just have no idea why this is happening.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hi Westy

You need to confirm a bit more information.

firstly are you
    'letting Windows manage the wireless connection'

or are you using other software such as from the the pc or wifi card manufacturers ?

Second I assume you don't want to connect to the 'any' network. With Windows management you can set to only connect to named networks and remove 'any'.

Otherwise whenever there is a short term dip in your own network because of other users or external factors Windows (or your other software) will search out what may then be a stronger signal.

3. westy420

westy420 Private E-2

sorry yes i am using windows to manage the wireless connection. I had a look arround int the management and properties and thought i had got rid of the option of "ANY!" but sometimes it isnt even there, the only time it really appears is when it has connected to it.

Please could you tell me exactly what i have to do in the network management.

thanks

4. xpuser44mag

xpuser44mag Private E-2

Hi I was just observing and read What you were asking. ( I just have no Idea
    why this is happening) your answer is studiot post last paragraph:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds