outlook 2007 not starting

Discussion in 'Software' started by ajs, Nov 3, 2008.

1. ajs

ajs Private First Class

just installed xp service pack 3 and all seemed to be ok. I use office outlook 2007 for e mail etc but it will not start up now. It gets to the opening screen but then just hangs there. i then have to hold in the power button to turn the system off. All of the other office apps are working ok and I can use them while the outlook screen is hanging.

I also unistalled Norton, installed outpost firewall and avira - could any of these be causing the issue? Oh, i also fitted a new graphics card - busy weekend!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Outrider

Outrider Private E-2

I would run Office Diagnostics

3. ajs

ajs Private First Class

ran the diagnostic and it found and repaied an issue but it has not resolved the problem.

Mark, I have downloaded the norton remover tool. How do I know if it is running? There is no app open but it is in the process window. Does it run in the background and let me know when it is done?

4. ajs

ajs Private First Class

I cant get this program to run. Ive tried downloading twice. When i double click it starts to extract but then nothing happens. If I double click the icon again a message saying another instance of the program is running and to shut it down but it isnt anywhere to be seen! If I end the process the whole thing happens again.

Meanwhile... any other thoughts on why outlook wont open? I can open it in safe mode and all of the parts function properly but its not a long term fix. baffled again!

5. Outrider

Outrider Private E-2

Ya, I agree with Mark here. If outlook works in safe-mode, their is not a problem with the install. There could be a conflict issue, I would not give up on the removal tool.

6. ajs

ajs Private First Class

OK, I'll have another go at the Norton thing. The program downloaded and I saved it my desktop. seems it doesn't want to extract though.

Away for a few days now though so I'll get back to it later in the week.

Thanks for the help so far.

if it is a system conflict, where do I start?!

Regards. Sandy

7. ajs

ajs Private First Class

I just cant get the remover program to work. I downloaded it onto the laptop and then transferred it to the pc using my removable drive so that the firewall is not an issue. When I double click it, it says "extracting 11%" then 99% then nothing happens. Its not running as an app in task manager but it is there under processes with 00 on the cpu column. SymNRT.exe and norton removal tool.exe are both there in process window. Could service pack 3 be causing the outlook and this issue?:confused

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think it may be worth asking, how full is your hard drive?

9. ajs

ajs Private First Class

41gb free of 75. System is running quite sweet apart from this office thing. I use ccleaner, spybot and adaware regurarly.

10. ajs

ajs Private First Class

I'm baffled too Mark. The removal tool works ok on the laptop so its not the download thats at fault. Im running a full disc scan now and then I'll try reinstalling Norton and then try the removal tool to uninstall again (if I can get it working) I've posted at the office outlook 2007 message board to see if they can help too. I'll let you know how it goes.

11. ajs

ajs Private First Class

i dont think it will do any harm to reistall so in the absence of any other ideas I'll give it a go. When I uninstalled norton Go back, it took about 2 hours in total. norton IS2005 unistalled quickly.

12. ajs

ajs Private First Class

I downloaded norton remover tool from their site and have ran it twice with a reboot in between and ran ccleaner. I have also removed outpost and antivir but outlook will still not open. When I try to end the program in task manager it says it cant close it coz its waiting from a response from me. Fast approaching wits end!

13. ajs

ajs Private First Class

Any further suggestions on this issue?

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Does the Norton removal tool work in safe mode?

There was a free program called EndItAll from PCMag that would end most things running.
    Send me a PM and I will upload the program (it has since gone pay but I have had it from when it was free) so you can try that to end things and see if the Norton Removal Tool will then work and maybe it will even close out Outlook for you.

info about EndItAll2 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1935,00.asp
    (I don't think I have the program which superseded this).

15. ajs

ajs Private First Class

I got norton remover tool working as normal by downloading it directly from their website. My problem isnt ending outlook - it ends through task manager. I cant get it to start normally. it just hangs. When I end it through task manager it says it cant end because its waiting for a response from me but if i click on end now, it ends. it will only start up in outlook safe mode. When it does this, it functions normally and closes down as normal.

Im now running without an av and only using windows firewall (temporarily) in case it was a conflict with those downloads. I'm using the laptop for downloads, internet etc for now.

As a further complication, I have just found out that system restore is off and it wont turn back on. It says there was an error trying to access one or more drive. Reboot and try again, but it does the same thing again. Could the 2 issues be connected?

16. ajs

ajs Private First Class

i dont have the xp disk - came oem installed. i tried the full dial a fix thing but it has made no difference. the repair install looks a bit scary! It seems to me that it is geared more towards boot issues. Looks like I'll either have to live without system restore or put norton go back back in again. I've reinstalled av and outpost and you're right, it made no difference. Outlook works in safe mode so I'll just have to settle for that by the looks of things. Thanks for your help Mark and everyone else who responded. admitting defeat on this one!:(

17. ajs

ajs Private First Class

after running the malware readme scans etc, I unistalled outpost and cleaned up the registry (ccleaner scan for issues) i have installed PCtools firewall. When i tried to open outlook, i got a page saying configuring office enterprise 2007. It took about 6 minutes to configure but then just hung there as usual. Office diagnostics didn't find any problems. Any more thoughts on this?

18. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just wish to add a weird suggestion to this, as I had come across an issue with Outlook 2007 not starting correctly and "could" be a solution, so bare with me, but do you have Google Toolbar or Google Desktop installed? if so uninstall them, then try Outlook 2007.

Or if you can get Outlook to work in Safe Mode then open it and goto Tools > Trust Center > Add-ins > Choose COM Add-ins from the Manage section at bottom and click GO then untick to disable all the add-ins and click OK, then close and restart your Windows in normal mode and open Outlook.

If Outlook opens then goto same menu for Add-ins and enable one at a time and close and open Outlook, if it freezes or doesnt open on one of them we have found the culprit, so untick it again in likely Safe Mode, then post its name so we can check on it and if a fix is available.

19. ajs

ajs Private First Class

I have uninstalled google toolbar and google earth. I dont have ggogle desktop. Outlook still wont open. Then disabled all add ins as described. Still the same. Opens in outlook safe mode but just hangs if I try to open it normally. Screenshot attached for waht its worth!
    I have compared all of the settings in outlook with my laptop (running vista) and everything is the same within outlook. Will a full office 2007 unistall and reinstall work? If so, what do I do to keep all of my contacts details and current e mails etc?

Attached Files:

20. seonaid

seonaid Private E-2

I have exactly the same problem. Have you by any chance found the answer yet?

Here is how I described it:

When I close my system, WindowSearch.e is reported as not responding. When I start up, MS Outlook (2007) hangs up while opening – never opens. The only way to close it is by means of the Windows Task Manager. I then get the message: The system cannot end this program because it is waiting for a response from you. However I can’t find anything to respond to. MS Outlook (2007) will then open and run, but only in Safe mode. Twice, possibly after a set number of occurrences but I haven’t counted them, the Safe Mode fails too, whereupon I get a message: Outlook failed to launch in Safe Mode - do you want to start Detect and Repair. Obviously, I reply OK. When this is completed, Outlook opens perfectly normally, and when I close my system, I do NOT get the message about WindowSearch.e not responding. However next time I power up, the whole problem starts again. All other M/S programs seem to be functioning perfectly normally.

Does all of this match your situation. I am desperate to find a solution.

21. ajs

ajs Private First Class

Sorry Seonaid, still no further forward with this. I just open outlook in safe mode and it works. I dont have the windows search issue but everything else seems identical. My system has recently started hanging on some programs randomly and is very slow to start up. I have ran spybot, superanitspyware, malwarebytes anti malware and adaware and none of them find anything malicious so I'm fairly sure its not malware/virus based. I've also disabled most programs at start up and most IE add ons but it still takes a good 2 - 3 minutes or more before the system is usable on start up. pretty much given up on it to be honest. Good luck with yours. let me know if you get anywhere.

22. seonaid

seonaid Private E-2

Thanks for replying. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. I use Mozilla Firefox browser and Google desktop

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds