Long file names in Windows 7 Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Neil Jones, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

How can I copy long file or folder names without renaming them in Windows 7 Pro?

2. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

I should also mention it's Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I never had this problem with Windows XP 32bit. I have a ton of files that won't transfer because of this problem.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...le-name-extensions-frequently-asked-questions

Copy the problem files to the root directory in Win 7 (very short path) then move them elsewhere once they are on the computer.

4. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

Problem seems to be that it doesn't like the long file name rather than the copying. I can shorten the name and it copies. Once it has copied when I try and rename the file to what it should be Windows 7 Pro 64bit won't let me.

5. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

I found this:

Is it the only solution that exists for this problem?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
  6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Does it say the name is too long? Do the filenames have any unusual characters that Win7 might be balking at such as hyphens (-)?

Edit: Forgot to say the reason I posted. Web of Trust gives that longpathtool site a dangerous rating. I think you might avoid it unless you can find it referenced elsewhere.

7. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

I've downloaded a free convert folder (and sub-folders) to ISO file program. I'm going to try and move the folder and its sub-folders this this way and then unpack the ISO file once it's on the storage drive to see if that will work.

9. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

Making the folder and sub folders an ISO file didn't work. No error messages come up when I copy the ISO file but the files with the long names don't transfer. Moving the files to a shorter path C: doesn't work. Tried both the x86 and x64 hot fixes in the link provided and both give a message that the update doesn't apply to my computer.

Renaming the files works but I need to keep their original names.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

10. tgell

I am going out on a limb here cause I am not sure this will work but what if you tried to move them offline using a linux distro like Puppy? I would start with a couple and if it works, boot back into windows and see if the files are okay.

11. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

I've never used Linux but I don't see where I really have a choice now other than to learn it / try it. Since I'm so clueless about Linux I went and found some training videos for Ubuntu Linux. From watching some of the videos it seems like I can boot from a Ubunto Linux CD without installing Ubunto Linux. My question: Will Ubutu Linux file manager Nautilus see my folder and files that Windows created and can I use Nautilus file manager to try and transfer the folder and files that Windows 7 64 bit is refusing to transfer?

12. tgell

13. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

I'm stubborn as a mule. I had to try Ubunto first. It worked and transferred the folders/ files perfectly. Now that I've finally got the file transfer working as soon as I get caught up I'll read up on Puppy. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Linux. Truly amazing to me that MS still can't get the basics of file transfer right and that Windows 7 Pro 64 bit has this problem. I guess I'm going to be spending lots of time learning Linux now.

14. tgell

Great that Ubuntu worked for you! Thanks for the feedback. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds