Setting Up 2 Computers....

Discussion in 'Software' started by kennie, Apr 14, 2014.

1. kennie

kennie Private First Class

Hey Guys;

Was fixing up my Father-In-Law's laptop and he asked me if I could set something up for him... Him and his wife go on many vacations... What he wants me to setup is, can it be possible for him to access his main computer from his laptop ?

No matter if he's in the same house or in a different location or country ?
    But where ever he is, he will be on the laptop.
    I say different country cause we're in Canada and they tend to travel down to the USA for vacation a lot.

Right now the laptop is running windows 7 64bit, I believe next time I go over he's going to get me to put windows 7 64bit on the desktop as well, as I have to change out the hard drive for him and get 7 setup and running.

Thanks in advance

Kennie

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

teamviewer.com has a remote tool you can use to access your PC/laptop when your\'re not home. Setup an 'account' and follow the instructions during install.

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If they are home, i.e. using the two computers in the same house, then merely creating a home network will be the better solution. TeamViewer would be the tool for connecting when away from home.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Depends on what you want from the connection. If it's just being able to access files on the other machine then a home network is fine, providing you remembered to correctly share all the folders you might need to have access to, or to copy them to the Public folder. However if you want to actually use the other computer then it's Teamviewer - which also has file transfer of course.

I've found Teamviewer incredibly useful on my home network, in fact at present it's set to LAN connections only.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds