"Accuiring network address" is XP SP2 on a wireless connection

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Jan 15, 2005.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

"Acquiring network address" in XP SP2 on a wireless connection

This is really irritating. In XP SP2, apparently in an effort to make things "user friendly" they've dumbed some of the messages down (or at least added some that don't make any sense).

Whenever I try to connect for a wireless network the first time, it will log on fine, and then say "acquiring netwok address" and get stuck there. The weird thing is is that I can access the internet fine, I have good signal and everything is alright.

Here comes the odder thing. If I go to properties, TCP/IP settings, advanced, WINS, and enable or disable NetBIOS, I'm connected as soon as I close the dialog box.

I'm using a static IP address, not DHCP, and so I think it might be trying to get the netbios setting from the DHCP server (which isn't running), and so gets stuck on "Accuiring network address" unless I specify it manually.

Do I have to specify it manually EVERY time I go on the network, or is there a registry entry I can change?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2005
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Goldfish and I have been working on this, and we believe we have found a workaround (band-aid, whatever), for what appears to be a bug.

I need more guinea pi...er volunteers to test it before I can write it up though.

Any other people with this problem out there?

I also need system specs, network card brand, and model, along with router brand and model.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2005
  3. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

One thing you may try is to make sure your wireless zero configuration is disabled. I have had alot of problems with this service gettting in the way. If you do disable this service you will need to tell what ever program is running your wireless network card the SSID of your network for it automatically connect each time. Just something to try.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Wireless zero disabled is only ok, if there is another config utility installed.

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

... which there isn't.

6. matt69

matt69 Private E-2

Hello,
    I have a sony vaio laptop (built in wireless card) with a motorola wireless hub (hub hooked to rr cable modem) i have the same problem and it didn't start until i upgraded to sp2. The sony update site had an updated driver for the built in wireless card that went with sp2. that stop the problem for me.

good luck

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Was the driver specifically for Sp2?

Thanks for the info :)

8. matt69

matt69 Private E-2

Sorry it took so long-

Yes it was and it also was for the specifically for Sony model PCG-K33
    Downloaded from the Sony Vaio Update/Support website.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I mean, was the driver built, specifically in mind for Sp2?

10. matt69

matt69 Private E-2

Yes it was built for SP2. When I get home in about 1 1/2 - 2 Hours from now I will post the direct link to sony's web site that I downloaded the driver from so you can read the details.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

12. matt69

matt69 Private E-2

This is the main site for my sony updates

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCGK13

This is the first download I did

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=EN&upd_id=1614&os_id=7&mdl=PCGK13

This is the second

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=EN&upd_id=1538&os_id=7&mdl=PCGK13

I hope this helps you understand what I did to clear up my problem.

My wireless sometimes locks-up with no network access every so often and all I do is switch off the little switch for the wireless card built into the laptop and back on and it finds the network again. (Pain in the butt)

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thanks for the info!

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It appears it is not as common as I had thought. Thanks to all who responded. I am now unsticking this thread :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds