how full is to full

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bunkachunk, May 28, 2011.

1. bunkachunk

bunkachunk Private E-2

I have a wd/750 green hd used only for storage, "movies". I have 56.4 gb left on the drive and the info bar in "my computer" has turned red. I'm using win. 7 32bit. I also have my main drive partitioned off and i'm using it for the same purpose, storage of movies. my question is how for can you fill up the hard drive? will it slow down? I'm using win. media center to view the movies if that makes a difference.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Maybe it's telling you that your C drive is too full, maybe %95 IIRC? What size partition do you have there?

3. bunkachunk

bunkachunk Private E-2

my c drive is a 500 gb partitioned to 103gb," c drive" and 362gb "e drive". the 103 is my main drive, os, games, etc. the 362gb is for storage of movies only. the 750 wd, "f drive", is only used for storage. it has 56.4gb left out of 698gb usable space. the f drive is the only one that has gone to red in the indicator bar in the my computer folder. if I add one more movie to the e drive it goes to red also. will it hurt to take the e and f drives down to say 20gb?

4. augiedoggie

Sorry, missed that part the first time. It's time for a new hard drive, you can get a 2TB for $60 these days, very inexpensive. No, to the 20GB limit even 1GB IS ok as long as it's not the C drive which needs room for new installs, hibernate, pagefile, temp files etc.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

IMHO, getting a fast primary hdd is much better than getting a large drive then partitioning everything afterwards. Cause, down the road, you'll wish to increase a partition and perhaps run into problems.

Though, they are expensive, I'd go for the 120GB ssd for primary, then a large drive for the 2ndary. IMHO. ;)

6. bunkachunk

bunkachunk Private E-2

thanks for the post. I have a big wish list in newegg fo ra future build. The gigabyte ga z68x-ud3p-b3 lga 1155 motherboard and have a intel 320 series ssd 40gb in the wish list. and to go with it a seagate barracuda green 1.5tb sata 6.0gb/s hard drive. also on the list is the xfx hd-687a-zdbc radeon 6870 black. that should bring on the eye candy. and a intel i5 2500k. with the z68 chip set, I wont have to break the bank on a bigger ssd. smaller is better w/ the z68, or so I have been reading. any impute on this would be great, as the build is up for some changes, well all but the video card and the cpu.

7. augiedoggie

Let me tell you how fast a 40GB fills up!:eek I'd spring a bit more and get a 60GB instead, also spend a bit more for a quality power supply to protect your investment.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds