Network Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Frosty, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Frosty

Frosty Private E-2

I guess this is Hardware.......?? I am on Comcast cable internet. Only 1 computer, at home. My Dell came with something called Realtek RTL 8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC. I had to go to Comcast and get their new Motorola Surf Board cable modem when the old Comcast modem quit. When I changed over I had no idea what I was doing or how the internet connections were supposed to be. In the C.Panel Network Connections there are 2 icons one for the Surf Board cable modem connection, and one that has the name of the Realtek Fast Ethernet that say "Local Area Network", well I don't have a LAN so I clicked disable. My regular internet works, but I've had lots of trouble with Windows Update. MS thinks it is a BITS issue, but we can't seem to fix it. BITS says it's working. I'm worried about disabling that connection. I did I screw up? I tried to ask Comcast and the lady was very rude,and said they don't do software problems. Can someone here tell me what to do about this Ethernet thing?

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

From what i understand in your post you can surf the internet just fine but windows update is causing you trouble.

What exactly happens when you try to use windows update?

3. Frosty

Frosty Private E-2

I had a thread in Software going called Windows Update "Broke".
    There's 3 problems. 1--Windows Update quit installing what I ask to download back in June. It said "Failed to install", that was when I used the Custom option. 2.--Invalid Product Key! error 0x80080220 3.--MS gave me a wizard to run and input a new key #. It won't work either. error 0x800704dd. I'm working with several people at MS, but we haven't gotten anywhere after a month.
    So that's why I want to know about this disabled Ethernet thing. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds