My computer takes too long to boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by likensb, Nov 3, 2005.

1. likensb

likensb Private E-2

I am not sure why, but my computer (HP pavilion a450n) takes a long time (normally about four minutes) to initialize when I boot up or reboot.

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks.

We need more information, like operating system, to help diagnose the problem.

3. likensb

likensb Private E-2

I am using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

4. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Click start then go to run. Type in msconfig and press enter. Go to the tab on the right labeled startup. Try unchecking somethings that you know you dont need. You could have alot of junk opening on startup that you dont need. Could be more than that though

5. silvius

silvius Private E-2

You could also run a disk cleanup utility and clean out the trash, also uninstall programs u dont need and then chkdsk and defragment your drive, this will also help ur boot and shutdown.

6. mPK

mPK Private First Class

deleting the prefetch will help a little. goto start > run > prefetch and delete all the files in there. I would download a program like tweakxp or something. that will delete the prefetch everyday for you...

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Deleting prefetch won't help one iota. That's not what prefetch does.

If it did help, it would only help speed up a program when you click on it, not during normal Windows startup.

And that's assuming deleting prefetch works at all. The jury is still out on that one.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Open Task Manager on boot.

Ctrl-Alt-Del

How many processes are running, and what is the commit charge?

If you can, list what processes are running.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds