Best Practice (?): HD reformat and dual boot setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by radiot, Mar 31, 2007.

1. radiot

radiot Private First Class

I just reformatted my laptop, heres my process, for what its worth. I'd like any suggestions, criticisms, etc. The machine is a Dell Latitude D820, Intel Duo, 80 gig hd.

First backup. I created c:\backup_c and h:\backup_h and dragged all files from respective drives into these directories and backed them up. Also backed up Firefox profile C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Moxilla\Firefox\profile. Stilll don't know how to backup windows settings :-|

Insert OS CD and boot to CD. Install scuzy and raid drivers (if applicable), then delete existing partitions. Create new partitions: 12.5 gig for windows OS, 5 gig for Ubuntu, 50 gig remaining for windows data, 1 gig for Ubuntu swap, 1 gig for encrypted data, remainder un-allocated.

Install windows.....

Finish windows install. Set up windows users: one administrator and one limited. I recommend not using real names here because they will be used in cookies. Dont set admin password yet, because you will have to restart upteen times in next steps.
    Install drivers for hardware. My dell latitude D820 recommends chipset, video, comms, input, audo, misc.

Format data drive. Install firewall. Patch windows.Install Firefox. Install Sun's Java. I also create dircetories on data drive (F:\) for Documents, Downloads, and Pictures and put shortcuts to these directories in all user's desktop and "My Documents" to ease saving files off C (windows OS) partition and onto secondary data partition because this makes backing up later much easier, and keeps OS partition small.

Set admin password.

Next, insert Ubuntu CD reboot to CD. Check CD, afterwards when desktop appears, click install. During install, set preferences, then "manual partition manager". In graphical display note partitions for "/" (5gig) and swap (1gig). In next window beneath given partitions set left hand panel to "/" and respective partition (use size to tell which is which), then repeat with swap partition. Do not clear any other selected partitions above (windows, boot, or data) or ubuntu will erase them. Install ubuntu. If warning about uncorrected errors on sla 0 (dell boot partition) click continue.

After install, reboot, remove CD and connect network cable. Login and let Ubuntu update OS. This will create another two lines in grub OS selection menu most likely

Select default OS to boot to in grub. Upon restart, grub loads, so count which line, including the line that says "other operating systems", the OS you want to be default is located. First line is zero. When Ubuntu loads open terminal and type:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    enter user password
    This opens grub's menu script in the text editor with permission so you can edit and save it. About 14 lines down is an un-commented line which says "default" followed by a number. Change number to line in menu (starting from 0) that represents the OS you want as default. Fruther down you can also delete duplicates lines created by ubuntu update.

Go to System, Adminstration, Synaptic Package Manager and install ndiswrapper. This should allow you to run Wireless card with windows driver. I havent got this to work yet though :-(

To set ubuntu root password. Open terminal type, sudo password, type user password, then new root password.

Pretty much ready to go.

Thoughts?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds