Laptop cold boot problems - First Post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Manny, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Manny

Manny Private E-2

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am having a problem with my laptop recognizing the hard drive on a cold boot. Laptop powers up and just stays on the BIOS screen, I do not get any error messages. However, when I leave the laptop on, after about ten minutes it fires up and works perfectly after restarting it. Also, when it is warm restarting it causes no problems.

About a month ago the power stopped working on it. The power adapter cord worked, so I figured the problem was with the motherboard having a bad connection to the power port. I sent the laptop to the manufacturer and they said they replaced the motherborad. I am mentioning this because this problem pretty much started since I got it back from them. It almost seems like a warm/cold issue with the laptop. I am wondering if instead of replacing the motherboard they just soddered it, perhaps badly. I am thinking perhaps when the computer is cold the sodder decreses in size causing a bad connection to the motherboard causing it not to boot and eventually as the latop heats up the sodder increases in size and the connection is made and therefore it boots?

Laptop is clean of viruses, spyware, malware, etc. I have not installed any new software lately. Laptop is a little over a year old. I have ran scandisk and no problems were found. That is about the extent of my trouble shooting.

I know there are other possibly causes such the hard drive starting to die, or an incorrect BIOS set up, where should I even begin to fix this?

Thanks much

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds