HP laptop won't boot - but will B-E-E-P

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kimball, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Kimball

Kimball Private E-2

I have an HP Omnibook XT1000 laptop, which has had video problems that seem to involve the motherboard. It would run ok for a while (maybe days)then the display would go all crazy - even on a separate monitor. So I got several boards [that I thought would interchange] to try out. Of course, when I got into the box I saw that the CPU sockets were incompatible, so I gave up on the swap and reassembled the laptop, following the service manual instructions. Now it won't boot up. When I power it on, there's a long beep of about 15 sec and then silence for 30 sec or so, then the beep repeats. I think this will go on as long as I care to listen. The drive starts spinning and the LEDs come on. It doesn't seem to be getting to the POST at all; the long beep is definitely not in the list of codes. The monitor doesn't seem to do anything; no message, no light. I tried a separate monitor, no change. I've rechecked all the connections to the motherboard; monitor, inverter, keyboard, buttons, memory, cpu. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Sounds like you may of shorted the motherboard with static while messing with it. If you have a short caused by a loose screw, or the such, that can also keep it from POSTing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds