Acer Aspire 1600 problem connecting external monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deviator, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Deviator

Deviator Private E-2

Greetings Major Geeks!

I bring you ill tidings I'm afraid.

Recently aquired my lil' sis's Acer Aspire 1600 series (1604LC) laptop. A 2.8GHz mean machine with a VGA port on the back. Silly me formatted and installed XP Pro anew, and downloaded the drivers for the machine from ACER.

Machine is formatted NTFS, WinXP Pro installed.
    I then installed the following from ACER

ATI Technologies Inc. VGA driver 6.14.10.6374
    SIS Accelerated Graphics port driver 7.2.0.117

----

Three "Default Monitors" appear in Device Manager, and two in Display Properties/Settings. The TFT is indentified as 1, but I cannot change to an external one.

I've tried three screens: 17" CRT, 19" HP1955 and my new 22" HPw2207h.
    Read the manual to the ACER, and it says that I switch between the internal/external monitor by pressing Fn+F7, which turns off the internal. The external in in sleep mode...

Any ideas, tips? I'm formatting the third time now, trying a different approach than last time, but it's getting late and already spent a good five hours :/

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  2. Deviator

Deviator Private E-2

Re: Acer Aspire 1600 External Monitor Problem

I've scoured the net for any help and tips, but none found.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds