Is this the right category?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtomara37, Jul 3, 2008.

1. jtomara37

jtomara37 Private E-2

Hello ev1,

Let me just start off saying I hope this is the right spot to be posting this thread. Couldnt figure it out, so I posted in both software and hardware /shrug.

Well here is the deal....

****I use windows xp home, I have a C: partition also a D: partition on my 1 hard drive installed on my computer. I just bought another hard drive to install as well. What I would like to do is make my new hard drive I just bought part of the D: partition so my D: partition and the new hard drive is combinded as one....... If this is possible..... can I do it without loosing data? I have LOTS of files/pictures/movies and other stuff on that D: partition and now it is full so i bought the other hard drive (since d: partition is my data and storage place I just want to enlarge it)

Do I set the new hard drive to "slave" , master? what should it be? Can anyone link me a walkthrough or talk me through it....

I was going to just install it and read up on it.... but I can't even install it until I at least know if it has to be set as "slave" or whatever.

Thx for the help,

Jerry

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

The new drive will have a new drive letter. You should set it up as a slave drive.

3. jtomara37

jtomara37 Private E-2

hmmmmm

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can not combine parts of two different hard drives into one.
    What you might be able to do is move some of the files from D:\ into the new hard drive. How is the new hard drive formatted? If it is FAT32, do not try and move anything that is 4 GB or larger.

5. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

My 2ยข worth...
    after having similar fears of losing pics, music, and documents...
    I used a compressor program, I think it was Nero,
    and then burned them one by one to disc's ...
    one disc for pics, one disc for all my music, etc.
    then I adventured into the unknown realm of reinstalling Windows XP w SP2.
    Then when I got restarted, to my surprise... now my C:/ drive is like dead...
    but my D:/ drive is fresh and new, and what was my D is now E,
    and what used to be E is now F...
    so then I restored my pics by running my saved CD...
    etc.
    Bottem line? consider burning your precious stuff to something hard, a disc or a little pencil drive thing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds