What would happen if I just reinstalled XP Home?

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrreatRon, Jan 18, 2004.

1. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I installed XP Home a couple of months ago and probably because I mess around and do some stupid things, I have lost the ability to do some things, such as, going to Start, Programs; when I place the cursor on the list of programs and right click, nothing happens. So, I can't delete or rename or sourt, etc. I think something is screwed up in the registry.

What would happen if I just stuck the XP CD in the computer and re-installed it?

Thanks!

2. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

It would fix it... do it.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Very big assumption, with a very large margin of error.

A for effort, C- for execution.

Its unsafe to speak of things as fact on a forum such as this, where not everyone is a power user or guru.

Repair install, as Abby suggested, is the same thing as an upgrade (reinstall) over the OS. (Just a tidbit of info ;))

Upgrading over a broken OS, ends up in about 70% of the time, a broken OS.

A repair/upgrade over itself (in place upgrade if you will) is excellent if a file or files or drivers are corrupted.

Certain services are replaced/fixed, some (very few!) registry entries are replaced, drivers are returned to default levels (that includes not installed if a version is not included in XP), and system files and programs that came with XP are reinstalled, and returned to their dfault levels.

In addition, all system restore points are nuked, and all hotfixes, service packs are removed.

The registry barely gets touched.

As such, a repair will not always fix a messed up registry, and will NOT ever fix a corrupted registry.

Just some information to be aware of.

I only forewarn, because I have green techs that do it without thinking and really fubar customer's systems.

One more thing. If this is OEM (came with the computer), and you do a repair, there is a chance you will lose your data if you do a repair/upgrade reinstall.

Let me know if you need more details regarding this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2004
  4. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

Thanks to Abby Sue and Adryalyne. I will try the Repair route and let you know what the results are!!

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Best of luck to ya, hope it works out ;)

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

How many kittens were killed in this execution?

7. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

OK, Abby Sue. I went through the process, selected "R", got a message "which windows installation would you like to log onto?, by trial & error I clicked on "1" and hit Enter, it asked for my administrator's password which I didn't have since I never set one up, proceeded in Safe Mode and created a password, went through the whole process again and after accepting my password, I got a c:\windows prompt. What do I do now? I typed Help and got a list of files like Ckdisk, RD, etc. but that was no help.

Now what? Also, I went to start> run> and typed "sfc/scannow" and got a message that the file could not be found.

Boy, I am at a standstill and await an outpouring of your wisdom and techie knowledge.

Thanks!

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, we are a little off track. You actually ended up at the Recovery Console.

To do a Repair install, when you boot to CD, you will want to press 'enter' to install Windows XP.

Press 'F8' at the EULA (license agreement), and you will be presented with an option to repair your current installation.

Should be straightforward from there.

Also

sfc/scannow is not a valid command.

Do this:

start > run > cmd.exe
    click 'ok'
    at the command prompt, type:

sfc /scannow
    press 'enter'

Its important you put that space in there :)

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

None, but he made my kitties cry :(

10. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

Thanks, Adryalyne, for the detailed instructions; very easy to follow. I was able to accomplish the processes even though it did not correct my problems. I can live with them.

11. HankO3

HankO3 Private E-2

Try this to be able to get back your right-click options. Start-Settings-Taskbar and Start Menu-Start Menu-Customize Check the box to Enable Dragging and Dropping

2 people like this.
  12. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

BINGO!! That did it. I really appreciate the info. Major Geeks rides again!!!

1 person likes this.
  13. HankO3

HankO3 Private E-2

Great. I'd hate to tell you how long it took me to discover the fix after i did the same to mysel.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds