Chipset Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marlboro, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Marlboro

Marlboro Private E-2

Hi.

Trying to find chipset drivers for Packard Bell iMedia MC1528.

Motherboard is MSI-7168 ver 1c.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Brian

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Here is the ftp site for older packard bells. You may have to do a little digging as model numbers are not given, only years. Check the documents subfolder. It may give a clue on what models are for what years.

ftp://ftp.download.packardbell.com/DESKTOP/

There are all kinds of chipsets shown in those folders. I did come across this. But, I cannot verify if it correct for your motherboard.

http://www.lelong.com.my/msi-ms-716...ocket-939-motherbo-95368423-2011-11-Std-P.htm

ATIĀ® Radeon RS480 North Bridge and ATIĀ® IXP 400 South Bridge chipsets

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. tgell

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is there a specific reason you feel you need to update the chipset drivers? I ask because the BIOS is a major part of the chipset and normally it is not a good idea to update the BIOS on an older system - unless (1) the old BIOS became corrupt (very rare), (2) the new BIOS addresses a security issue (also rare) or (3) the new BIOS addresses a problem you are specifically having.

5. Marlboro

Marlboro Private E-2

Yes,

PC had HDD failure. Trying to reinstall XP Media Centre.

Have not touched the BIOS, not sure why you mention it?

Regards
    Brian

6. Digerati

Because as I noted above, the BIOS is a major part of the "chipset".

Note too that the updating the chipset is not a fix for a hard drive failure. Every single hard drive will fail - eventually. The only time you need (or needed) to perform that type of upgrade is if the current chipset programming (the BIOS) did not support that size drive - but that has not been a problem for years.

My whole point is, updating the chipset/BIOS should only be done when necessary. And that generally is when (1) the update specifically addresses a problem you are having, (2) the update addresses a security concern (rare) or (3) the current version becomes corrupt (also rare) and usually fixable with a simple CMOS reset.

Since a failure during a chipset/BIOS update can render a motherboard dead as a doorknob (rare, but it happens - often due to power interruptions at the worst time), I just want to make sure there's an understanding of the problem - at least by me.

7. Digerati

Because as I mentioned above, the BIOS is a major part of the chipset.

Note that updating the chipset is not a normal fix for a failed drive. All drives will fail - eventually. You must remember that basically, the chipset is a little computer all by itself and the BIOS programs that little computer with a basic input and output instruction set. Without the chipset, BIOS and CMOS information, if you turned the computer on, it would just sit there, not knowing what to do next or how to do it. The memory controller, drive controllers, CPU, buses, VGA graphics, networking - nothing would know how to communicate with each other. The POST would not start, let alone complete. There would be no communicating with the graphics solution, keyboard, or mouse. And all that is before the system starts to seek out a boot sector on a hard drive to get the OS started.

So I am just trying make sure we are or at least I am on the same page.

8. Marlboro

Marlboro Private E-2

Digerati,

I'm talking about chipset software drivers!!!

No Firmware updates.

Nothing to do with BIOS.

HDD has died and I need the relevant hardware (chipset) drivers for it to work with a new HDD.

Normally they are easy to find but having problems updating, suspect I may have other hardware fault.

Brian

9. tgell

If you are trying to load XP and are using a SATA drive, you are going to have to slipstream the SATA drivers into the XP install CD or in BIOS look for a setting called IDE mode or something similar. From the FTP site, it looks like you have a VIA controller.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds