Office 2007 Upgrade - Office 2003 Remains and won't go away

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leftshot, May 17, 2012.

1. Leftshot

Leftshot Private E-2

I have 2 different Windows 7 systems that have this problem. When I install Office 2007 using the "Upgrade" option it does not remove Office 2003 and leaves the system in a confused state, especially in regards to Outlook. When I initially start Outlook it will say it is configuring Outlook 2007, but subsequent screens indicate an Outlook 2003 utility is being used.

With great pain I can manually set the default email client and do other pieces of the configuration and get Outlook 2007 running, but as soon as I reboot the system, it reverts to a confused state. I have tried all four methods Microsoft prescribes in KB2639197 to remove Office 2003. I have also used 3rd party uninstallers—specifically Revo and CCleaner. It still comes back after a reboot. I have removed BOTH Office 2007 and Office 2003 and I can reboot any number of times and it stays uninstalled, but as soon as I insert the Office 2007 install disc it ONLY gives me the upgrade option and returns to this state where both 2003 and 2007 products appear installed in a confused state.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

3. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

4. Leftshot

Leftshot Private E-2

I appreciate the two responses so far, but I've already tried all but one of the items mentioned. The Microsoft Fix It tool for uninstalling Office 2003 is the second of the four methods I've already done. Again, I've tried all four methods recommended by Microsoft which are:
    1. Uninstall via Control Panel
    2. Uninstall via Microsoft Fix it
    3. Uninstall with the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter.
    4. Manual uninstall

I've also tried uninstall using Revo and CCleaner and fixing the Outlook configuration problem by manually setting the default mail client and other configuration settings and using the Outlook diagnostics. (This works, but only until the next reboot when everything reverts to a confused state.)

The suggestion to use System Restore I have avoided doing as Office 2003 was the first application installed when the system was new; therefore, using this method would involve reinstalling all the applications on the system.

With this additional information, what are your thoughts?

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Did you even try the Office Uninstaller Wizard? Only other thing that you can do, is start learning how to use regedit, and remove the keys from the registry. Worst case is, that you will have to do a full system restore. That means wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows again.

6. Leftshot

Leftshot Private E-2

Yes, I've tried the Office Uninstaller Wizard several times. Also, Office 2003 was the first application loaded on this system way back and so there is no restore point that goes back that far. As you can probably tell by now, I've been very thorough in canvassing the Microsoft Technet site, this site and every other thing I could find on the Internet that looked like a potential solution.

I've asked myself several times how Office 2003 can be coming back, especially in light of a manual uninstall of all files, registry entries, etc. The only thing that makes sense is that something is triggering a system restore during the install process. Mind you the installer is reporting a successful install and system reboots are not reporting anything abnormal during start up, but that is the only thing that seems to make sense to me. If that is what is occurring the key questions are 'why' and how do we prevent this from occurring?

If someone sees other possibilities, I'd love to hear them. I know this is a tough problem. I came here looking for help from those of you who have this deep expertise. I'm out of ideas, other than wipe the system and start over.

7. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

8. Leftshot

Leftshot Private E-2

I think I did, but I'm not sure, so I'll try that.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Well, if it is a old install, it would be time to do a wipe & reinstall of the OS. I would do it at this point, but make sure that you back up any documents and such before doing it.

10. Leftshot

Leftshot Private E-2

I double checked and yes the Windows Installer Clean up Utility is one of the things I tried. I tried it again, just to be sure. Same behavior. Office 2003 comes back and creates a confused state as soon as you reboot.

Both Windows 7 systems are new Dell Optiplex 390s we put into service at the beginning of this year, so while wiping and doing a clean install is possible, it's not desirable. That is a lot of work times two for a couple of systems just put into service 6 months ago.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you use a standard image, update it without Office 2k3, and use the domain to "ghost" the new image out to the machines after a updated image is installed on them. Things happen like this, and you put it behind you and move on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds