DSL vs. Cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poconomike, Oct 28, 2004.

1. poconomike

poconomike Private E-2

Hello All:

I currently have a one-way cable connection through my local cable company. Verizon has informed me that DSL is now available to my phone. My current one way cable connection is inefficient as i still require an additional phone line. Id say im satisfied with my current connection, but DSL would be like 30 bucks a month cheaper. Any input as far as installation ease and satisfaction with DSL? i understand i should be within so many feet of Verizons CO. How many feet would be too far away. I consider myself somewhat decent at dealing with installation proccesses, but am no expert. Are there any questions i should be asking Verizon specifically?

Thanks

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

curious..what cable company requires you to still use a phone line? the standard is bi-directional. I've never heard of such a thing.

3. poconomike

poconomike Private E-2

RCN in suburban philly. Not all of their area is equipped to handle two-way..so i basically have high speed downstream, but dial up upstream

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

wow, that really sucks! in that case, there is no comparison that dsl would be better for you. Maybe not so much in overall download speed, but as far as freeing your line and increasing your upload speed.. you can't beat that.

5. poconomike

poconomike Private E-2

thanks Kodo..its just a matter of switching..going through the self installation and other stuff i worry about

6. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You should get acceptable performance if you are within 12,000 feet of your CO-- about 2-1/2 miles. More than 18,000 feet and it starts to drop off a bit. Companies in some areas now use what's called remote DSLAMs, which make your effective distance only that which is between your house and the (hopefully) nearest crossbox.

7. poconomike

poconomike Private E-2

thanks Doug...One site lists my home as being 14,100 feet away..would that concern you?

8. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

My home installation is 11-12K feet from the CO, and I get typically 1.2Mbps down and 212Kbps up on an advertised 1.5Mbps/256Kbps service.

9. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds