I can't download these from the Major Geeks front page

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Jan 26, 2007.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

WinToolsXP 1.05
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinToolsXP_d5482.html

and

Ad-aware SE referencefile SE1R147 25.01.2007
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-aware_SE_referencefile_d726.html

I have had the same problem with Ad-Aware updates for some time now.
    I have to google for the updates and visit the home site, via google.

WinTools only played up today. I was able to download a previous version OK.

Symptoms are;

I click on the link at the MG front page, select the Server ( and I have tried more than one). PC goes through the usual motions and says "Downloading program" but nothing happens.

Eventually it fails and goes back to the MG front page.

Even if I click on "Click here if it does not", the same thing happens.

I have a feeling that it might be connected to the Java 2.0 update that I downloaded and 2 subsequent updates to Java 2.0 that I did.

When I clicked on one of the servers, the following appeared where the URL normally appears. "javascript:pm() error. Any help?

If a smiley appears in the middle of the above error, it should read javascript....pm() error
    without the dots in between, and a colon : before pm.
    Something else funny going on? Maybe :p translates to a smiley (doh)

This is becoming a PITA. Bazza

PS: No trouble with other MG front page downloads.
    I usually download one of more programs a day from MG. :p

Any java experts out there? Baz

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  2. bigbazza

To add to what symptoms I described earlier, just now trying, via google, to find WinTools 105 (without success), I got "javascript void(0): error where the URL normally appears. Bazza

3. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

4. bigbazza

5. bigbazza

I had previously installed that version :eek: plus 2 updates from MS, to it.

Anyone with more suggestions? Bazza

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Sounds like a pop-up blocker, check that.

OR

Make sure to enable JavaScript in Internet Explorer:

Select the Tools menu
    Select the Internet Options menu item
    Select the Security tab
    Click the Custom Level button
    Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets
    Check the Enable radio button
    Click the OK button
    Click the OK button

Steve

7. bigbazza

Thanks, Steve. I'll try that.
    What really confuses me is that it is only 2 programs (so far) that refuse to download from MG.
    I download lots of others from MG with no troubles. Bazza
    PS: Java scripting is already enabled.
    I have disabled the pop-up blocker (now allows pop-ups). Will see if that makes any difference. It was set to block pop-ups. Baz

===

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  8. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

I was confused somewhat in your regards to update to 2.
    There is no version 2.0 Java,the latest is what I had posted for you.
    Here's a explanation regarding the so called 2 update.

The current release is Java Platform, Standard Edition 6 (Java SE 6). The previous release was Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition 5.0 (J2SE 5.0).

Sun Microsystems simplified the platform name in 2006 to better reflect the level of maturity, stability, scalability, and security built into the Java platform. Sun dropped the "2" from the name and deleted the "dot number" (the number following the period). Any updates to Java platforms will simply be noted as updates rather than adding a "dot number" at the end of the platform name.

Due to significant popularity within the Java developer community, the development kit has reverted back to the name "JDK" from "Java 2 SDK" (or "J2SDK"). The runtime environment has reverted back to "JRE" from "J2RE." (Note that "JDK" stands for "J2SE Development Kit" in version 5.0.)

For more information on platform names and version numbers, see the following pages:
    http://java.sun.com/javase/namechange.html
    Should be noted that the version JRE is what you want not the platform veriosn JDK

9. bigbazza

Thanks for your reply.

I have installed jre-6-windows-i586.exe, plus 2 further (via MS) updates to it.

I assume this is the version you are referring to.

I tried to download the latest version of WinToolsXP 1.06, out today, just now, with no success.

Same symptoms as before.

I'm confused confused confused Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds