Kodak wins suit against Sun for Java technology.. Java and .NET are in trouble now...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kodo, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

2. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Re: Kodak wins suit against Sun for Java technology.. Java and .NET are in trouble no

That was in my morning paper today. I wonder what this means for the java and .net languages. not to mention the millions of companies that use these technologies in cell phones, pdas, applications, and websties.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Re: Kodak wins suit against Sun for Java technology.. Java and .NET are in trouble no

no one else has any comments on this?

4. MechGeek

MechGeek Private First Class

Isn't that pretty much what goes on all the time with all of windows APIs, dlls, etc? I would think that if a verdict this size were to go through against sun it would pretty much sink them as a company, which would kill java unless they sold it to pay for the patent infringement. Personal opinion i doubt it goes through and probably by they time it does something will have come out that is superior to it (10 years down the road when all the appeals are finally settled)

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

From my understanding that is not how it works witih Win32.

It's already been 7 years.. Java is just starting to get decent. 10 years down the road, java could be a primary player...what then?

6. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

Regarding this bit: The patents describe a method by which a program can "ask for help" from another application to carry out certain computer-oriented functions.

I would hope that this is for a *specific* method, not every possible method.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

one would hope.. they did mention something about "specific" parts of Java so maybe it only applies there..

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Another two victims of the IP rights war!

I wonder how long this will take to reach if it ever does a final verdict after all of the apeals and more to the point how much $$$ will be wasted on lawyers and costs.... at present Kodak are seeing a massive downturn in their traditional 35mm and APS film sales... APS being the hardest hit as Digital in just 2yrs has achieved an increase in the UK Lab market of between 40-50% whereas from the last set of figures I read APS was in decline to around 60%+ year on year 2003/2004.

Today it was anounced on the back of January 04s announcment from Kodak to shed 15,000 jobs worldwide to loose 600 jobs in the UK film manufacturing arm of the operation.

it just begs the question to me that jobs will be sacrificed to pay for the legal costs in sueing other companys over IP rights to tech.

... which two are companies are going to be next up to the plate??????

9. DavidGP

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

still wonder if MS is next.

11. DavidGP

I wouldnt be suprised if they are in the sights already... once Kodak won this round, especially as Kodak's a little on the back foot with the downturn in traditional film and cameras.... as traditional film had a huge profit margin.

12. MechGeek

You would have to think MS is next. At the bare minimum MS had there own Java implementation for a while. Even if they have already been forced by the courts to abandon it. Three things
    1. Kodak Market cap 9.7 Billion
    2. Sun Market cap 13.9 Billion
    3. Microsoft Market cap 330.33 Billion
    If Kodak has any kind of case against MS don't you think they would go through with it?

13. MechGeek

I just read an article on Yahoo's webpage the "informed" think otherwise
    [/size]

14. DavidGP

yes, but they may go for the smaller-ish companies first, get some court rulings behind them which will hold them in good stead for a MS case.. I dont think that they could ever battle it out with MS as you stated MechGeek they have far superious cash reserves in which to fight a case over the long term... Kodak may just want to settle out of court in an amicable agreement as they did with SUN ... saves the companies giving too much cash to the lawyers?

the other thing is as MS dropped Java.... how worthwile could a case be, MS could just say hey we had a fight with SUN.. lost and discontinued the project.

all this sueing tit-for-tat is becoming counter productive to some degree, what I mean by this is some new technologies or wild ideas will be shelved by companies or put back a few years if court cases take too long or go the wrong way and big penalties are paid out!

what next... ok who owns the patent for the mouse wheel!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds