Move Desktop and My Documents from C drive to D drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by GeoFan, Jan 9, 2006.

1. GeoFan

GeoFan Private First Class

Just installed Win2K Pro on a new 40GB hard drive. Set up 10GB partition on C and 30 GB partition on D.

How can I move the Desktop and the My Documents to the D drive to leave C drive for OS only?

So far I've found this method for My Documents, but will the Desktop also move with it?

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windows2000_tips.htm#mydocuments

Moving My Documents
    Added 9/1/00

Normally the My Documents fold is in the Documents and Settings / User_Name directory.

You can change that location by:

Start / Documents
    Right click on My Documents
    Select Explore
    Right click on My Documents
    Right click and select Properties
    Click on the Move button and select the location you want to move it to.

>>> So is that all there is to it?

I think that the Desktop lives inside My Documents... so maybe that does it for both... right???

However, there may be more... such as this:

http://www.infopackets.com/channels...5_change_my_documents_music_pictures_path.htm

FOR Windows 2K:

Open Windows registry and go to the keys

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

and review the settings...

If you modify the registry and change a path of a folder, you will have to move the folder to that location after you

reboot the machine. And don't forget -- always make a backup of your registry before making changes to it!

Can anyone advise the steps for moving Desktop and My Documents from the C drive to D drive? SO far, nothing has been done except install Windows 2000 Pro.

Can it be this easy:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc/msg/c93fe7cc87f982ec?hl=en&

???

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

3. GeoFan

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Yes, it does. It is the previous version, not the XP version.

5. GeoFan

I've loaded Windows XP Pro... got TweakUI powertool from MSFT.

The tool says just right-drag folders from one drive to another to move them...

For ALL users, I want to have the Desktop folder and the My Documents folder and all user files on the D drive, reserving the C drive for Windows OS, swap file, programs... and no user files...

Any suggestions?

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I have the Documents, Pictures, and Music on a separate HD from my OS. If my OS gets corrupted or its drive go bad, I don't have to worry about trying to salvage my pix and stuff from it. I even have a drive image saved on it just in case. I also run a page file on the 2nd HD because it adds a slight performance boost.

7. GeoFan

Got it working OK now!

1. Did the right-drag to MOVE all the folders from the C drive to the D drive, user by user.

2. Logout, login... Welcome screen hangs for a minute...

3. No joy - My Docs and Desktop still going to C drive...

4. Used TweakUI to set the desktop to the D drive folder for each user...

Logout, login... presto! My Docs and Desktop on D drive AOK!

8. GeoFan

Re: Moved Desktop and My Documents from C drive to D drive?

Here are some screen shots of the results.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds