Never Ending Windows Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by djkwik, Jun 19, 2013.

1. djkwik

djkwik Private E-2

I am running XP home on my notebook and recently there was an update that shows it was downloaded and installed, then 5 seconds later the yellow shield pops and tells me I have an update waiting. I've googled this for hours and none of the advice I've read and tried has worked so far. I cannot make this thing stop. It happened before a few months ago and I simply told Windows Update to ignore it and then it came back and even though its still listed in the ignored updates, it is still trying to download and install. I can't make it stop. I've read that it has to do with .NET Framework, so I followed a lot of different advice, including uninstalling it, downloading the latest version directly from Microsoft Download site yet that still hasn't worked. I've attempted to use Microsoft FixIt, and everytime I do, it tells me I need to have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed...I DO...I HAVE 4.0 NOW AND THE (*$*%%^**& THING STILL WON'T WORK!!!

Does anybody have a solid correction for this nightmare?! The download in question is KB2839229.:mad

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

There's a page that I found that's in Chinese and I used Google translate in Firefox to translate the page.

They recommend that you don't install the June patch because of a design flaw in the patch.

Kingsoft Security also causes problems with this patch unless it's got the latest update.

Some have reported BSODs upon reboot after installing the patch.

What the Chinese page recommends you do is boot into safe mode, go into Remove Programs, select the patch and uninstall it.

As far as the Microsoft "FixIt", did you run the one for Windows Update?

I run XP Pro on my Dell Precision M70. When it comes to Update Tuesday, I don't rely on Windows Update. Instead, I use IE and go to the Microsoft Update site and select "Custom" from the two choices. I get a list of High Priority updates, Optional Updates and Hardware Updates that I can select on an individual basis and either choose to install them OR select "Do Not Show This Update Again".

Also, I've got Automatic Updates set to notify me when updates are ready but don't download or install them.

I downloaded and installed the patch and didn't have any problems. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. But, hopefully, the above suggestions may help.

3. djkwik

djkwik Private E-2

Thanks mdonah,

Could you tell me which patch I'm looking for? Do I need to be in the Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs utility?

When I go to the Windows Update homepage, it still lists that particular KB udate as being downloaded and installed AND shows that I need to install the very same critical update.

I also have my auto-update set ON and only notify me of updates then I use custom to only install what I want. I did not recognize that one update in the long list this last time or I would have clicked to not show me again. Now I'm stuck in the loop where I cannot get rid of the yellow shield in the tray. I know its really not doing anything harmful to the computer, but it would be nice if the stupid notification window wouldn't pop-up every time I log on. I've even tried to re-click the box to not show that update again, but that failed.:(

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

On the Add or Remove Programs window there's a checkbox at the top for Show updates. Check off that box. Once the list is populated, scroll down until you find KB2839229 (it should be the last Windows XP update in the list), right click on it and select uninstall.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds