Intel quad cores

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tunered, Nov 14, 2006.

1. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Now that Intel has came out with the quad core, everybody that has them old, slow, dual cores can sell me one. lol ed:rolleyes:

2. N5638J

N5638J Guest

and sell me one too :p

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Yea Okay......one to "tunered" and one to "N5638J" now if you guys would just kindly give me your Account # and Password they will be shipped right away...........................I PROMISE:p ;) :D

4. insamaic

insamaic Guest

Quad cores are worse for gaming. :|

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I actually thought they held their own against dual cores TechReport text on Quads vs others but as many games are not quad core compatable it still did ok and the X6800 matched its dual brothers, Quad core CPUs are most likely at present going to be aimed at protentially server and business application the likes of PS CS2, 3Dmax etc tasks over gaming as their prices are in the $1000 bracket, or until games utilise multi core cpus better, but games developers are just coming to terms with dual cores, quads dont factor as yet.

6. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

I was reading Toms Hardware( I love AMD) and it seems that AMD does in fact have something on the way. I cant find a link so i wont go off. Also at Toms Hardware, ther was talk about the new NVidia with DX10.so nice..No more slow piplines kiddies, If you have a couple grand to spare...May i keep the change?:D
    Games need to be built to be compatible. cant take Diablo 2 and expect anything w/ cards today. Thank goodness my home town isnt bombed during this GPU war!! I still panic over my supper table settings!;)

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

IIRC the code name or CPU ID for the AMD Quad Cores is K8L. ( but dont quote me on this as I may well mean something completly different )

The wondeful merrygoround of the CPU wars :)

8. insamaic

insamaic Guest

At AnandTech the Quad Cores performed a few frames slower than the Dual Cored CPUs, plus they damn expensive.

But that's true, and I've said it before, but also, most games don't utilise two cores. ;)

I can't imagine if it did use all 4 cores.... 1000 fps :p

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

I may also be confused, between K8L and AMD's 4x4.

As in, the 4x4 is 2 duo core cpus (fx 70, 72, 74), on a socket F motherboard.

So, to use the full functionality, you have to buy TWO FX cpus, and a socket F motherboard, to support 4x4.

K8L I believe is either AM2+ or AM3. I've read both quad core, and "duo" core. :confused:

But, this is all speculation and rumour and nothing official has been released. Or official news has been released, but, I'm just confused on what is correct and what is rumour. :(

But, with the 4x4 I do believe I'm, more accurate. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds