Windows XP problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shotgun_Shortz, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

I have a toshiba thinkpad laptop and when i start it up it says "C:\windows\system32\config\system is either missing or corrupted

Insert windows XP disc and from the installation menu hit 'r' and sue the recovery console"

something like that. and I go to the recovery console and used "chkdsk /p" and tried "copy C:\windows\system32\config\system" and it said could not copy file. And the only other way to fix it that I can think of is to re-install Windows XP. But I dont want to lose all my music is my document.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Then don't do recovery ...boot from cd ...enter to boot from cd ....files will load ...will get to the first "repair" screen where hitting "R" will take you to recovery ...don"t ....enter to install ....f8 to agreement ...then it will find the previous install and as if you want to install new or repair "R" ...now hit "R" and let it fun ....will save all your files and programs ...will only lose your updates ....but if you had a virus ...you will still have it ..so go immediatly to the malware section and do the read and run first.:)

3. padams

padams First Sergeant

although Barca's solution will work, i would use it as a last resort if Tim's solution does not work. Nice post Barca, most private E-2's don't include links to software when they try to help people!

4. tkjdnow

tkjdnow Private E-2

What if your Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools does not have a back up option? Mine has system restore, but no back up.

Mikcrosoft tells me I should ack up my computer before installing an update, but I do not know how.

5. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

Wow, spam much.

It doesnt say hit 'r' to repair there, it says

"The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list

- To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER

- To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

- To delete the selected partition, press D."

Then it shows my partition, I hit enter and it takes me and says it will install on the same partition and it will cause problems, blah blah blah. Then I hit C to continue. Leave the current file system intact. THEN it says C:\Windows is already there and if I install it it will erase the old Windows XP including all music.

Well i would back up the data but I cant get onto Windows cause of that error. The directory should have been enough to know that.

6. padams

padams First Sergeant

tkjdnow, if you have burning software like nero, you can use it to make a backup.

shotgun_shortz:so there is no option to repair a previous install of windows? did you try hitting "r" anways?

7. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

yes I have, and the funny thing is repair works on my desktop and my friends but not the laptop.

8. TimW

Are you running a factory installed xp with only a restore disc?

9. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

Well, I bought it with Windows XP on it, it got infested and then started fresh by buying a new Windows XP and installed it after reformatting. So now it is not factory installed.

And I may have to just reinstall Windows. But if I can get it working help quick maybe not.

Thanks for all this too btw guys.

10. TimW

11. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

I already re-installed XP. Thanks for the help to every1.

12. Angienoel47

Angienoel47 Private E-2

I'm having the same problem, but it won't let me boot from the CD

13. TimW

@angie ....go into your bios setup and change the boot order to cd as the first boot up device. (change it back when done with the repair).

14. mondrawy

mondrawy Private E-2

this means that you're registry got corrupted, there is a very good guide on how to fix it over at microsoft's support pages

This only applies if you have a proper Windows Xp Cd and not any of those altered CDs that usually have the auto-install feature turned on cause those usually skip the area where you need to press 'R'.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds