hard drive is constantly running

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markc21, Aug 20, 2006.

1. markc21

markc21 Private E-2

It seems as if my hard drive on my compaq presario v2000 is constantly running which causes programs that I use to run slow. I have windows xp and I have tried several things (help troubleshooter, hp total care) but nothing solves the problem. I think I just have too many programs running at the same time but I don't know how to address this situation without screwing anything else up. I also am running a version of microsoft office that lets just say..I didn't pay for. Some of the other programs that I have are BearShare, zip forms (for Realtors), norton anti virus, webroot spy sweeper and Itunes. I have also downloaded 4 disk clean and big fix from the major geeks website hoping they would have identified the problem but they were unsuccessful. Does anyone know what the problem is?

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Use task manager to identify the programs that are running. You should see one that has high cpu usage.

3. markc21

markc21 Private E-2

My hard drive seems like it is constantly running causing whatever programs that I try to run to perform very slowly. I have windows XP installed. I ran task manager and the System Idle Process is using up a lot of the CPU space. There are also about 11 other processes on the task manager that use more than 10,000 memory. I have a version of office on my computer that well, I didn't really pay for. I've tried various programs to try and troubleshoot the problem but nothing has worked. How do I diagnose this problem? How do I fix whats wrong?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Merged the two threads on same subject to keep all info together,

System Idle is generally a high % as it signifies the CPU is doing not much, so that one is normal to be in the 90%> mark.

Possibles are File Indexing is on and does on occasion run alot and slow some applications down, to turn off goto My Computer and right click your Hard Drive and choose properties and untick "allow file indexing service to index this disk...... " and apply, you may see a an error popup in de-indexing a file skip or continue on those.

or you may well have Malware on your PC in which following READ & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support guide and posting the requested info and attaching the logs required in the Malware forum should tell you if Malware is to blame.

How many starting up applications do you have? to help in this download and install Regcleaner ( their are other ways using msconfig etc but they would need you to screenshot multiple pages or type the startups out if there are many ) once run click the Startup List tab then click File > Save List as TXT > save the text doc to somewhere on your PC you can easily find then attach it to your next post ( info on how to attach HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds