Wanting to upgrade my Rig in one big blast.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Heskey, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Heskey

Heskey Private First Class

Hey guys, my current PC specs are:

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows XP Professional
    PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    MEMORY: 1024MB RAM (No further details, but comprised of 2x 512MB sticks)
    GRAPHICS CARD: ATI Radeon 9800+ PRO 128MB
    SOUND CARD: On-Board (Realtek AC97 Audio I think)
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    POWER SUPLY UNIT: 300W

---------

At the moment I can play games like Battlefield 2 (Big memory eater :S ) with a consistant playable framerate on 1024x768 resolution with medium-low graphics.

However, I'm tired of upgrading 1 component each year, to have another component go out of date the same year to keep up with games.

POWER SUPPLY UNIT

At the moment, my 300W PSU is too weak for my new processor and motherboard, and after LOTS of BF2 play, especially after I die to an explosion my PC will sometimes reboot - It used to reboot randomly when I played Black & White 2 on lowest graphics. So basically I need a new power supply unit.

GRAPHICS CARD

I've had this since last Janurary and I'm not sure if it's out of date yet? Some advice on this please? I'm uncertain because so many X(whatever) ATI cards have come out since I get the impression that I'm grossly losing out.

RAM:

1GB - I'm thinking of ripping out the 2x 512MB sticks I have and replacing them with 2 brand new 1GB sticks, in the belief that this will help keep my FPS consistant whilst I up my graphics. Suggestions?

SOUND CARD:

Never once upgraded my Soundcard, but at the moment it's onboard which means I have to have my sound settings on low and EAX off - Some people I know can play with Ultra High sound quality and EAX on - I want to experience some sound that's more personal with my ears for once.

---------

If anyone can make any good suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Bare in mind I had a shop install my new case, processor and motherboard but installed my GFX card and RAM myself, with a little help from my eldest brother. (Basically I'm not in the know on building PC's)

I don't actually have a job either, I'm a sixth form student but I don't spent the £25 I earn a month much, and now and then I help my dad out in his shop for a day and get £40 (Trying to do that more since I want to learn how to drive now).

So without being uber budget, and requiring to be a rich bugger, what would you folks recommend I do with my rig?

Cheers!

- Heskey

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Video card: 7600GT or better, x1800 or better
    Sound card: X-Fi ExtremeMusic
    Power Supply: Antec PurePower/SmartPower, anything from PC Power and Cooling *500+ watts should be ok and make sure you get one with dual 12v rails; one isnt enough these days*
    Processor: Im pretty sure thats a 939 processor so upgrading to an X2 proc woule be your best bet. That is, if your mobo supports them

3. Heskey

The mobo I got was designed specifically for the processor I seem to remember, and I only upgraded those 2 in February. They're better than someone's on the 2142 forum's who's running the closed beta on pretty much ULTRA setting with no problems.

But he did have 2 gigs of Corsar ram, and an NVIDEA 7800 GTX

4. Heskey

Right now I'm reading reviews for the X1800 and 7800 GTX, I'm already swayed to the Radeon as in the past I've had nothing but trouble with Nvidea.

I don't understand the technical ins and outs about graphics cards, or any PC components for that matter, but I do know that generally, the bigger the number, the better :p

I've found this within a review of the Radeon:

[​IMG]

The review can be located here:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=31

5. Heskey

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds