The Shape Of Things To Come

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by star17, Sep 16, 2006.

1. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Now that the shuttle is back to ISS construction missions, the appearance of the space station has and will continue to change dramatically. It kind of hit home when I fired up one of the trackers last night on my computer, and the icon was different on the plot board. The shuttle backs away from the ISS tomorrow and will send images of the new look; can't wait to see them. The new solar arrays recently installed continuosly rotate to follow the sun in order to gather maximum power-producing light. The time-lapse video of it is pretty awesome. I cannot tell you how rewarding it is to be a part of this program.

Here's an image from 115 as seen while docked; I'll put up additonal images after the undocking, and dig up a time-lapse video of the rotation from the mothership.

[​IMG]

A larger image size is here, it gives a much better idea of the scale of this project.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/157859main_image_feature_657_ys_full.jpg

Discovery brings up the truss for the other side in December, plus a cargo module. Always a treat to see visual results of one's work.

2. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Outstanding!

Atlantis is supposed to take a 360 degree look at the station tomorrow before departing, which will be cool. Good to see things progressing again. :)

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Really happy to see that Nasa has returned to some basics ...that station is not only important for morale, but more so for the research that it supplies ....and how much easier will it be to launch from the station than from earth!! ....
    Oh, and Star ...could I get one of those panels ....we're trying to cut down on our electric bill.:)

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I keep thinking to myself that we've come so far... and while we have, I can't help but think that there is still so much more to achieve :) I look forward to those achievements each and every day; NASA has made many of those possible. Without you guys,we would be in the stone age comparitively.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Well said Kodo :)

6. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Some of the first images are in after the undocking; looks like a tinker toy with a chunk missing, but very cool nonetheless. The other side goes up and attached in December. Man, that's gonna be one big station when all the arrays and modules are in place. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

@TimW: There is no and will not be any launch capability from the station. Crew rotation and cargo ships is as good as it's going to get. The original plan was for sending ships out into deep space, but then congress got involved...

7. TimW

Well that's just downright stupid .....but then, what else would you expect from a government committee. :mad: :mad:

8. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Aw, we're happy with what we've got to work with from them, I think they finally see the fact that even though they cannot comprehend 95% of what we are doing, using really big scientific and aeronautical terms at the budget meetings usually puts them in enough of a fog that they just okay our budget request. ;)

9. TimW

Then just off the top ....how much less would it cost to send probes from the station as compared to an earth launch? My guess is that it would be an huge savings ....one lauch to deliver 5 probes to the station ...then a pittance to send them from the station ..next to no fuel, no wasted rocketry...but I guess that would make too much sense.

10. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I can't tell you how cool it is to kinda/sorta know someone directly involved and getting the inside scoop as you sometimes do!!

It is ALL awesome to say the least!!!!

Roger

11. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Yeah, but that could change in the future. About how much power does that array deliver? I suspect there is a lot of redundancy due to microdebree damage that will build up.

We're going to need a docking station for outgoing spacecraft eventually. Personally I'm suprised we haven't seen a tug built yet, something like a towtruck. Fuel ballons, instrumentation, extra oxygen for the spacesuited pilot, who is out in the open. Something very basic.

12. G.T.

I don't think we're quite ready for that yet Tim. Assembly, testing, fixing, and tweaking is much easier on the ground, and we still have to get them UP to orbit, which is where most of the fuel is burned. Would make sense for a mission where total fuel/delta V from earth to destination would be prohibitive, like maybe the Mars shot, whenever that happens, where we could refuel from orbit and start from there. Or build space-only vehicles in orbit without all the weight and trappings needed for re-entry, but we're a long way from that level of construction out there yet. It will come, just not right away.

13. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Give us the funds; we can do anything with proper funding. ;)

Define a "pittance"; you cannot launch anything from this or any station with our current propulsion systems. The vehicles being built to replace the shuttle are based on current proven, cost-effective technology. There is no past history to go on from launching from an orbiting platform, nothing as substanial as you suggest anyway, and the cost of building a "2001"-type space station would be, pardon the pun, astronomical. And in several scientfic theroies, it's not feasible. You'd have a very small finite weight constraint for starters, which limits what could be sent and how far. There are some ideas under consideration using small ion engine-powered probes down the line, as their launch-shock would be minimal to the station. But it would require some retrofitting that hasn't even been designed (yet), so it's not likely to happen.

Commercial launches aren't as expensive as the media likes to make them out to be, especially since there are other options besides NASA available including ESA and the Soviet Space Program (which NASA is funding about a third of right now). One of the most expensive undertakings is trying to find a way to do something that has never been done before and no history to go on, especially when there are budgetary constraints to consider.

There were plans for a space tug back in the 70's; unfortunately, that's where those plans still are. ;)

Had an orbiting station been JFK's goal back in 1961 instead of the moon landings, we'd probably have something up there the size of Rhode Island. But the goal was set for what it was, and after Nixon/Ford/Carter/Clinton paid lip service to NASA, there was little more we NASA could do after years of budget cuts. The past couple fo years has allowed us to finally work under some decent numbers; it makes a big difference.

There are some things coming down the road that are pretty exciting; the next-generation of boosters and manned vehicles will be bigger than the Saturns of Apollo and will feature an unmanned version as well. It's the best way to go for now. Time is a great enhancer of technology; there's plenty in the works to look forward to. :)

14. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Answer

15. TimW

Well ...tell them to get a move on ...want to see some of this in my lifetime:
    NASA has a program in place to develop solar sail technology to a point where it can be used to implement important space exploration missions. There are a number of missions on the NASA strategic roadmap that require this type of propellantless propulsion to achieve their objectives. There are other classes of missions that are greatly enhanced by solar sails because these vehicles are inexpensive to construct and can deliver such high performance propulsion.

16. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Well, being only a year old, you've got plenty of time. ;)

Solar sails, space elevators and things of that nature are in research, but not in any long range plans...yet. Ion Engines are currently receiving the most attention in R & D. They, as engines of this sort go, are relatively inexpensive and currently are the most feasible choice for development. The next manned ship is going to look like a fat Apollo, but sometimes going ahead means reaching back first. :)

17. star17

star17 MajorGeek

This was passed along to me at work today: it's an image taken by an amateur astronomer in Normandy, France, looking at the sun and capturing the flyaround by the shuttle of the ISS. Unreal.

http://www.astrosurf.com/legault/iss_shuttle.jpg

18. TimW

Kind of gives it a whole different perspective.:)

19. G.T.

Wow. Quite a picture. :)

20. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Wow...that is really impressive!

21. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

A great big perspective. Nice photo. :)

Steve

22. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Thanks a lot, Chris for the pics and info. Seems times aren't quiet as in the doldrums as they used to be. Could always be better, though - but nothing new in that.

I feel like a kid at Christmas, waiting for the I.S.S. to finish, LoL! ;)

(Hope you and Abby are doing well, B.T.W. :))

23. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Star,

Great to see that the program is still moving forward. GLad to hear that youare still involved as well. Always a nice day when you hear another successful shuttle mission. I know that the unsuccessful ones were few and far between compared to the successful ones, but unfortunately, those are what the media tends to focus on. Of course, I am still waiting for the first Warp core to be developed and then for the teleporter to follow, but I guess I can wait patiently for now ;)

Calltaker

24. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

i have always found that cool to follow. i am really happy that nasa is returning to thier scheldule, getting beyond what has happened, but continuing to move foward none the less. makes me proud to be an american.

25. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Their will be a lot of different techs out there, including ion engines, solar sails, you name it. Me, I want antimatter. Lots and lots of antimatter, far far away from here.

The solar power link is broken, Looks like there would be enough for my computers though.

26. star17

star17 MajorGeek

The bird is back in the box as of this morning, another great mission with a great ending. Next flight moved up from 14 December to 7 December, nice to be ahead of schedule for a change. Also given a tentative Hubble flight plan this AM, looks good for a mission added to the manifest to go upgrade the eye in the sky, late '07 or early '08. :)

27. G.T.

Outstanding. Would be a shame to let Hubble just fade away. :)

28. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Great to hear the mission went well, and things are ahead of schedule.

Good news about upgrading Hubble as well. There should still be a good few years left in it yet, with then the upgrading is finished. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds