Downloads won't finish

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joopu70, Sep 20, 2006.

1. joopu70

joopu70 Private E-2

Everytime I try downloading a file off the internet it will just freeze and not finish. Even when i'm downloading something from inside a game, the download will not complete and just freeze. When i try watching videos on a website like youtube the bar will just freeze not go any further. It will download for like 20 seconds and just stop. I have scanned my computer for viruses and deleted temp files and cookies and nothing fixes it. I searched all over the internet and could not find a solution, please help me!:(

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Welcome to Majorgeeks!

Someone here should be able to help!

What OS are ye using? What version of IE are ye using?

4. joopu70

joopu70 Private E-2

I tried the activescan but it didn't work because i can't download it. I am using internet explorer 6 and windows xp professional sp2. But this problem isnt just in explorer, it is in games I play too. Is it a trojan horse?
    My virus scanner detected one a week ago but it doesn't anymore.

5. TimW

6. joopu70

joopu70 Private E-2

yeah thanks for the suggestions but i figured the problem out myself.
    i had just setup a new wireless network and i found out the wpa security setting i had it on was messing up the downloads for some reason? but i put the security on wep and all the problems went away. there was no problem with trojans because none of the scanners i used on my computer showed any problems.

7. linivee

linivee Private E-2

I read joop's reply, and I am having a similar problem: downloads will appear to
    occur, but when I attempt to open saved files, get corrupted zipped file message. I do not understand what the "wpa" and "wep" security means. Can anyone help me? I have an old SOYO computer, Windows XP Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, Intel Celeron Processor, 601 MHz, 248 MB RAM, SmartLink 56 Voice Modem, and I am currently using NetZero (having a lot of trouble, having to try numerous times to access Mail and often get "page cannot be displayed" if I ever successfully get to internet. linivee

8. TimW

Linivee best to start your own thread, however ....your sounds like an issue with ram being faulty
    Memtest
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

Or start swappin it out one at a time until you find the bad stick ...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds