Name confusion

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sibeer, Oct 7, 2006.

1. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

A friend was at my house a few days ago, while I was in the lounge here at MG. He noticed my name, Sibeer, and he informed me that most people would think it is pronounced "i" as in "bit" as opposed to the correct pronounciation "i" as in "byte".
    How did you guys think it was pronounced?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

"cy-beer"

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Dang now that I look at it closely I see your right it is sibeer and here I thought it was 8-beer and you were a great guy who invited us to PARTY:mad: :p :D

Going to have to get me self new glasses I guess!!!!!!!, Dang I hate being an "Old Fart"

4. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Same here: 'cy-beer'
    Long 'I' :)

5. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Standard pronunciation of a word containing vowel-consenant-vowel string is for the first vowel to be long... "I" as in "eye" in your case. Shouldn't be any confusion about it. Except for your friend who doesn't seem to know standard rules for the English language. ;) There ARE exceptions, (live a long life for example) but when unsure, it's the way to guess.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Funny you should bring the subject of your nick up sibeer. (Cy-beer was how I thought it was pronounced, btw).

My husband jokingly asked me the other day when I was online, who I was cybering with. So I told him "the bank" as I was doing the accounts at the time. Later he walked into the room and saw me reading one of your posts, and said "See!! You are cybering!" (Sibeer/cybeer).

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

s'y'beer,how do you say my name rikky as in r 'i' cky or jerk as in 'j'-erk :)

8. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

It depends, if Jerk is your last name, then I would call you Rikky Jerk, or Mr Jerk, or if i was a superior in the Forces, then it would just be Jerk. If we were buddies I would call you Rikky, or any number of nicknames that could come out of your last name:p . If I was Scandinavian, it would be Yerk. I hope that clears things up.:confused: :p :D :D
    @lev Did your husband happen to see the post about me being your husband?;)
    @BCGray Hey I like 8-beer. Maybe I'll change it to that, then you won't have to get new glasses.:D

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I say your name Rickaaaaaaaaaaaaay, like Bianca does :p

@sibeer........yeah...he asked me if I was a mormon now ;)

10. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'm the opposite,normally I'd I'd call you sibeer but if we were friends I'd call you jerk :)

11. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Same

12. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

I was not confused by it.

13. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

I thought it was 'prolly Sy-Beer.

Usually, I think my name is just "Mud", amongst other, more obtuse names. :D

14. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Who are you calling "obtuse"? :p

15. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Gotta say I went with Cy-beer, all along from the get go!!

Roger

16. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

with an eye here;)

17. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

The "eyes" have it ;)

18. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Huh? I thought it was pronounced "confucius" . . . after all, the "Si" is derived from the ancient chinese language, which, translated into modern english, means "sigh". . . but is actually pronounced with the hard c followed by the "on". The "fuc" comes from an even older asian language, and it . . .

Oh, hell - I'm just f------ full of crap and making stuff up as I type! :p (oddly enough, that's actually what Natakel means!)

Seriously, I thought it was "Sy-beer" as well . . .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006
  19. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well not you, hun. Since you've never given me anything but respect (Ermm, I think, LoL! :D )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds