IE 7 gone crazy

Discussion in 'Software' started by redryder, Oct 20, 2006.

1. redryder

redryder Private First Class

Well, I've got a mess and hope that someone can help me.
    I use Windows XP Home SE. I use Firefox as my browser,but read that we should go ahead and update to IE 7. Well, it has really messed my machine up. I closed all running programs before installation, but after installation,IE loaded and I checked a few things out, but didn't make any changes in anything.I logged out and the first thing that I noticed was that my Music Match Jukebox would not load. I thought that it may be the shortcut so I went to Programs and tried to start it, no luck. Then I tried Windows Media Player, Same thing. A few other programs acted the same way. I ran scans for viruses and spyware and malware. The computer seems to be clean. Now, this morning, when I booted up I tried to load IE. It comes up and keeps saying "loading" and after a long time,it says IE is not responding. So after I had tried everything,including system restore about 3or4 times without success, I download IE again. Well, that doesn't work either so I'm at the end of my rope. Is there any out of this mess without complete reinstall? Thanks for your help.
    Red

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

You might want to download and install Service pack 2 for Windows and see if that helps. If you have your reasons for not wanting to install it you might want to roll back to IE 6.

What happened when you did the Restore?

Can you uninstall IE 7 and see if your Media player and such work?

It seems strange that 7 would cause so much trouble, have you installed anything else?

3. redryder

When I tried to restore back to an earlier date, it just said that it could not restore to the date I picked. I tried several recent dates. How do I go back to IE 6 and how do I uninstall IE7? I have several tools that I installed several weeks ago and they all seem to work together just fine. This is the first problem that I have had since their installation. I have AVG virus along with Norton System Works. I have AVG Spyware and Adaware. I've had no conflicks or problems with any or them.

4. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

NOT a good idea and you just may be experiencing problems now because of having multiple AVs installed.
    In Add/Remove Programs have 'Show Updates' checked and you should see IE7 there with a Remove option.

5. redryder

Hope that I haven't posted twice.
    I aready have Service Pack 2 installed. Could something have gone wrong with it?
    When I tried to restore I get a message that it cannot restore to the restore point that I picked. I tried several recent restore points but none worked.
    I have several tools that I have installed several weeks ago, but have had no conflicts. I have AVG Anti Virus and AVG Spyware. I also have Norton System Works and Ad Aware.
    How do I go back to IE 6 and how do I uninstall IE 7?
    Thanks for answering.
    Red

6. Toni_1947

7. redryder

IE 6 or 7 is not listed in "add and remove" in the control panel and some other programs,when listed, don't have and uninstall in them. When I click on any of them it just tells me how often I use then and date installed. This does not relate to my immediate problem since it has always been like that since I purchased the computer. When I have the box concerning updates, it does list some updates, but, like I said, there is nothing about IE In the main window or the updates list. Do you think that if I uninstall my protection tools one at a time and then try installing IE again, it may help? I may just have to do a complete reinstall.

8. Toni_1947

HI!
    This is what I see in my add/remove programs, but like you said...not in YOUR case.
    I would definitely uninstall one of the AVs and use only ONE AV...choose the one you want most and keep it.
    I will look for manual uninstall procedures meanwhile.
    Hopefully, someone more 'knowledgeable' will come along to help.

Attached Files:

9. Toni_1947

Attached Files:

10. redryder

I just went to the Control Panel and this time I found IE 7 and I uninstalled it and everything seems to work except Music Match, which I can reinstall so all seems to be well except, I have tried to find a way to uninstall Norton System Works but cannot find any way to do it. I beleive that I read about a powerful uninstaller on the net. Will try to find it. Hope you can find a way to manualy ininstall it. I am going to stay with AVG, at least for now. Thank You so much for your patience and helpfulness.
    Red

11. redryder

Yes, I have Ccleaner, but haven't had it long and have never really checked it out. Will try that now. Thanks again.
    Red

12. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

13. Toni_1947

also available HERE:

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

Warning: The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer. Before you continue, make sure that you have the installation CDs or downloaded installation files for any Norton products that you want to reinstall. Also, if you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases and uninstall those products.

14. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Toni, can you tell me what program you use to create screenshots like that?

15. Toni_1947

16. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Thank you very much

17. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

This is totally off topic, but MTpaint also has a screen shot util built in; just run mtpaintscreenshot and that's it! EASY! Love it!

18. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Yea but I want to screenshot a specific area, not my whole desktop ;)

19. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Do you have the Free version or the Pro or Plus?

20. Toni_1947

Free

Attached Files:

21. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

@ Toni_1947 Thank You so much

22. Toni_1947

No prob!
    You're Welcome!
    :D

23. redryder

Sorry to keep posting, but I think that everything is ok except one more question and I hope that I can stop bothering you.
    I finally got Norton and MusicMatch Jukebox uninstalled, at least thats what CClean reports. In My Programs, the MM folder and the files inside are still there. Is is safe to just delete the folder and everything in it? Thanks for the help
    Red

24. Toni_1947

If there are NO .exe files in the folder, then I'd say YES...you can delete it.
    If there IS a .exe file there it (or part of it) is still installed and just deleting the folder will not get rid of the program.
    Look for a .exe and proceed from there.

25. redryder

There is one .exe. Where do I go. Do I delete all the other ones and leave the one
    Red

26. Toni_1947

Well, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to just delete it.
    Have you tried using Music Match since you 'uninstalled' it?
    Have you run the 'Issues' tab in CCleaner( making a backup, of course)?

27. abri

abri MajorGeek

redryer,
    did anyone suggest yet just going back to a previous restore point from before you installed IE7.0?
    abri

28. redryder

Toni, When I uninstalled with CCean, it took off the desktop and control panel short cuts and Music Match wouldn't load from Program Files. No, I haven't used the "issues" feature on CClean. Will try it if I can understand how to backup and understand CClean a little better.

Abri, Trying to restore back to before I loaded IE was one of the first things that I did. It just wouldn't restore to any point that I picked.
    Thanks to both of you.
    Red

29. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

That was dumb. I've been having my own Windows XP Internet Explorer 7 problems in that I cannot get to the site westlaw dot com. See http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105443

I saw this thread and thought I would try to get into my MusicMatch Jukebox. Well, I tried and had the same results as redryder - everything went plumb crazy!

redryder - with IE 7 installed, can you open the site westlaw dot com? Thanks.

30. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

Is it possible that we need to update are java as I read in another thread? Go to start, control panel, double click java, at the top menu click on update, follow from there.

31. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Hey guys,

I've read through the thread here, and no one seems to have the problem I'm experiencing. I downloaded IE7, and installed it. After installation, a box came up saying that it was recommended that I reboot my system. I figured why not...and since then, I haven't been able to get back into windows.

When I reboot (whether safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, or just normal) I get to the screen where I have to login to windows (password), and after that, my previous desktop shows up, with no icons, no start menu, no nothing.

I can't run anything, because I can't click anything. I can get the task manager up. From there I'm supposed to be able to "run" a program; but that isn't working either.

Any ideas? I'm using a Dell 1150 Inspiron. 512 memory, 40Gb, 2.6Ghz Intel CPU. Windows XP Home SP2. I can't say I know what else is on the system since it's a dell, and they seem to pull fancy samsung items off the market that I've never heard of.

Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks!

32. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Any Ideas? Short of revamping my computer I'm at a loss here.

33. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Can you try System Restore or last known good configuration?

34. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Dan the Man
    Ya might try Repair install of windows

35. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

System Restore gives me the same result rebooting does. It seems as though my computer has been messed up *forever*. It's been about a week. Everything was fine before then.

Repairing windows is a good idea. It asks me for the admin. pw though...sheesh...what admin pw? I haven't had a pw set for that in years! Is there a way to reset that on a laptop w/o wiping my cmos?

Actually, worse case scenario, if I do wipe my cmos, the data on the HD stays the same right?

36. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

For a repair install you need to decline the first repair prompt. That one just gives you the console which is not what you want.

37. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Hey Guys,

problem solved. I just want to say thank you for the input. Esp. the last one, as I was close to re-installing everything. My laptop is my account/hw station, so there's alot of info I didn't want to loose. I guess I'm overdue for a backup. Didn't have to revamp afterall.

I guess it's safe to say that if it ain't broken, don't fix it-that goes for IE7.

Major Geeks has done it again. :)

Dan

38. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

Happy to help. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds