Scan Turns Off My Computer When It Gets To Driver.cab File

Discussion in 'Software' started by nancyHEIDE, Oct 25, 2006.

1. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

i had posted this first in the Malware Removal Forum:
    And then in the Hardware Forum...

So here I am! Any ideas? I did find something on another forum that had to do with the Windows XP drivers and SP2 updates, but I'm not brave enough to delete the file without another opinion!

2. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

This is a link to that information, which is way over my head: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showpost.php?p=302008&postcount=34

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

4. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Hi.

I ran the Diagnostic tests for 2 passes last night. They detected no errors, but when I pressed x to exit the tests, my computer restarted (may be normal?). I surfed back here to reply right away, but that's where my problems began. The computer turned off with no warning while I was looking at this thread. I turned it back on, and it booted normally until it got to the Windows desktop and then it turned off again. I turned it back on and then shut it down properly until this morning.

This morning, I did system restore back to October 8, the day before my last successful virus scan. Then I had all these updates to run and install:
    downloaded Windows Updates
    downloaded Java Updates
    Uninstall McAfee (components missing for VirusScan and SpamKiller)
    Reinstall McAfee Internet Security Suite 8.0
    Intstall Windows Updates
    Update McAfee

The computer still turns off at times, I can't figure out exactly when.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Right click on my computer / properties / advanced / startup and recovery / settings / uncheck the box for restart on errors ...next time you will get a BSOD ....post all that the error code reports.

6. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Forgive me, what's a BSOD?

7. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

I just tried to run a virus scan again using McAfee Virus Scan. It (my computer) shut off on me. I know how to trigger it, just not how to fix it! I use this computer for work and don't want to mess with it or get the BSOD (I figured out what this means) if I can help it! But I would like to be able to do regular virus scans like I have been doing in the past.

What comes after the BSOD? What do I have to do to get it back to normal? I'd like to know this before I go ahead and trigger it. Thanks Tim! Nancy

8. TimW

Nothing comes after the Blue Screen of Death ....but it has the info we could use to find what is causing it ...after you get the error codes ....then you could try control+alt+delete two or three times to get it to reboot ....or just power it down and wait for a few, then power back up. Do you have more than one anti-virus program installed ...cause that will cause it.

Ah, crap ....you need to try to do an online scan if you can:
    Bitdefender agree to the license and then select Scan. DO NOT CHANGE THE OPTIONS TO SHOW ALL FILES SCANNED. That will make your logs huge and we don't need to see clean files. Once Bitdefender completes the scan:

Click-on the Detected Problems tab. Then select Click here to export the scan report

When the window comes up to save the report, change the Save as type: box to Text (Tab Delimited) (*.txt) and then in the File name box enter change to bdscan then click save. This will save a file named bdscan.txt in whatever folder you are currently in when you save the file (take notice of where you are at so you can find it later). This bdcan.txt file will actually contain HTML code that we can easily view later while reviewing your log. All we have to do is rename the file to bdscan.html.

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

9. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Hi Tim! I don't think I have more than one anti-virus program installed, but I am beginning to wonder! I have changed my settings for restart on errors. I will do a bitdefender scan now, last time I tried with no success in Normal or Safe Modes. But at least I will have the log of the BSOD for you. Nancy

10. TimW

You have to run it under internet explorer.

11. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

I am baffled now. I didn't get the BSOD, but my computer did turn off during the scan as predicted. I want to make sure I did everything right...

Right click on MyComputer Icon>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery Settings>uncheck System failure Automatically restart

I ran Bitdefender by clicking on your link, new window popped up, I clicked I agree, click here to scan. It has only been a couple minutes since my last post here so the scan obviously didn't run very long before it shut everything down. I think it was in a different folder this time, wasn't watching too close.

12. TimW

13. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

This is one chaslang couldn't detect then! I thought that guy knew everything!!!

14. TimW

I've re-read your posts and now it is a puzzler ....no, I don't believe Chas missed something ....let me do some checking ...in the mean time since you set it so it would bsod ( and it didn't) continue to try to run a full active or bit scan ....I'll check back ...(also, it's almost past my bed time):)

15. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

I am running panda's activescan. This time it is working! My pc is infected, so far with one spyware and 1 hacking tools and pot. unwanted tools. Do you recommend the 'disinfect my PC' option for only CAD$16.95? Or is Panda ActiveScan famous for false positives like so many others?

16. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

mine too! I will keep panda's scan going and report back in the AM. My one year old IS SLEEPING! You should be too! ;)

17. TimW

save the scan as text and post it (as per the instructions inthe read and run first) ...then try to do the bitscan again. Tomorrow. ZZZzzz

No, don't pay anything to anyone.

18. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Right after I posted my message to you last night my computer shut off, so the scan was incomplete and I have no log to show. Then it did the same thing as before: I turned it on, it turned off. I rebooted in Safe Mode, it turned off loading c:\WINNT\system32\drivers\agp440.sys. I turned it back on in Normal Mode, it turned off again and I went to sleep. This morning I have been running in Normal Mode for about 10 minutes now, hasn't turned off yet. Any ideas?

19. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I have a suggestion that you dont want to hear, back up data and reformat, cant be any more of a pain than what you are going thru. ed

20. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Thanks Ed, but won't the back up be infected also if it is some kind of malware problem? Nancy

21. abri

abri MajorGeek

I agree. If you back up and reformat, you could just come back with the same problem.
    It sounds like your computer is always shutting down during antivirus scans. Is that true? Whether it is or not, did you try taking McAfee out and seeing if it still dies?
    abri

22. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Yes this is exactly what it's doing.

Good idea to take McAfee out totally, I have uninstalled it once but reinstalled it again before I did anything else.

I'll try this and then what scan should I do first? Nancy

23. TimW

Re try the bitscan (since it will remove the nasties to some extent). Still no BSOD?

Another thought ..get your cd and it seems agp440.sys is part of Windows so also try copying it from your CD again, it is compressed on the CD so it will be agp440.sy_ to uncompress it use
    CODE

expand agp440.sy_ agp440.sys

24. TimW

25. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

I have removed McAfee Virus Scan now, and still the computer turns off during Bitdefender Scan. It ran about 25 minutes, was scanning file #22557 in c:\i386 drive. Still no BSOD.

As for my windows cd, I have a Gateway computer and it operates a bit differently from what I can figure. When I put my cd in, it goes to a driver and application recovery console but I can't find the actual agp440.sy_ file. Even when I boot it from that I get four options: format system, driver & app recovery, uninstall windows, exit to c:\. I chose the driver & app recovery and I got the same console window.

26. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Do you have very much to back up? I personaly have never had a good running pc after things like this, you should be able to scan the files and folders that you want to keep, you can mess with this thing for days, weeks, and still not have a reliable pc when you are done. ed

27. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Both my husband and I run our own business and ALL of the files for both businesses are on it. I do have a backup from about a month ago, but there is a chance it could be infected. Is this my only solution??? How can I prevent this from happening again?

28. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

PS - Other than shutting off during an antivirus scan it is running as always. What is the harm in not doing scans?

29. TimW

30. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Hi Tim.

The above microsoft link is broken, and the tweakxp article leads to a broken link. There is information about a mirror site at http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso , but before I download from there has anybody here tested it???

31. TimW

The MS link in the original post is still good .....the mirror link in the recovery console link is good ....just note the instructions on making the image ....have passed it on to a few, but don't know if anyone has done it. The other option would be to borrow someones xp cd that is your version (ie: home, pro, etc.) and get into the recovery console that way.

Once you have it done and back up you could do this:
    Recovery console at boot
    The recovery console is a very useful application for getting to your data without having to boot XP. If a registry error due to hard disk corruption prevents you from booting XP even in Safe Mode, then it may be the only way.

The recovery console is accessible from the XP CD if you boot from disc. If your CD is damaged, however, you may have no way of booting your system without reformatting the hard drive. This means data loss. Data loss tends to create distress esp. if you have no backups.

Here is a way to make the recovery console an option in the Windows XP "OS Choices" menu. Do this before an inevitable registry corruption.

1. Insert your Windows XP CD.
    2. Run {CD-ROM drive letter}:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    3. A dialog comes up saying it takes 10mb, etc., etc. - Click yes to install.

If you don't normally see the OS choices menu at boot, go into system properties (winkey+pause), click the advanced tab, and xlixk Startup and Recovery. Check Time to Display List of OSs if it is unchecked, and then set the timeout value to a decent number of seconds.

Apply the settings, reboot, and you should see two boot options.

Here are some KB articles on how to use the recovery console and how to recover from a corrupted registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?PR=1&scid=kb;en-us;Q314874
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307654

32. abri

abri MajorGeek

The characteristic described here reminds me of the annoying experience which occurs when someone "boots" you out of a chatroom. I was, on ocassion, booted all the way out of my computer, but I can only remember that happening when I had Win98. I don't know what kind of software causes that "total" boot, but it might be something that could be looked for if one knew what he was looking for. The other thing I wondered, just for my own information, is if computers heat up more when scans run. Any chance it could be an overheating problem?
    abri

33. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Thank you everyone for your help. Abri, I don't know the answer to your overheating question but someone else here might. I will follow your steps TimW. Just to be clear... I am doing this just in case the system is unable to boot XP right?

34. TimW

Installing the recovery console after everything is fixed is a precautionary tactic ....

Can you borrow a cd? or do you need to download the recovery console iso?

35. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

I need to download the file. I think. This is way over my understanding!

36. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Hi Tim.

I got the same message using my xp cd and downloading the file:

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

So, I did some checking on this and am now following the instructions at
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900871/

37. TimW

Now confused ..thought you only had a disc with drivers etc ...can't you use the xp cd to get into the recovery console and do the fix I suggest from microsoft a few posts back?

38. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Sorry Tim. I was using Disk one of two Restoration CD's. Disk two is Windows XP Pro SP1, I realized this after the post. But it still didn't help me, I have SP2 on my machine. I always got the error message when I tried to

39. TimW

40. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Thank you for sticking with me! YOU ARE SO PATIENT!!!! I will try this again. I don't think I tried after I realized I used the wrong disk.

41. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Hi Tim. Good news and bad news.

I was able to boot from the recovery disk I made from the image of my Windows XP CD. Per microsoft's instructions: I got as far as number 4 and typed my administrator password. Instead of C:\WINDOWS prompt, I got a c:\WINNT prompt for about 3 seconds until it shut off on me.

I rebooted twice without the cd in the drive, both failed (turned off after it loaded windows), but the good news (I think?) is that on the third failure I got the BSOD. Here's the message for you to decipher.

Does this help me at all?
    I am using a different computer as I thought I'd give my own a rest, it is pretty hot.

42. TimW

ITS PRETTY HOT!!! Well, now, missy ....I think you may have hit the $64,000 question ....how hot is it? Are we talking a desktop ( I'm lost with a few other similar posts ...so indulge me) ....if so, open the case and get the dust out and make sure that the fans are working and not filled with dust ....gently remove what is there and then restart with the side case off and see that they are running ....and put a desk fan a foot or so away and blowing into the case and see if it runs ...then download this:

Everest:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Run it and see what it reports as your temps ...

43. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

I'll be lucky if that's all it is... I have a laptop. What can I do then?

44. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

So many have suggested the heat, (abri, chaslang) but no one has told me how to check it. So does a virus scan and what I was doing last night require more of the system than normal? Is is coincidence?

45. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

I downloaded everest anyway and ran the report. Here it is. I will do a virus scan and then run it again and post. Till then, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! nancy

Attached Files:

46. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

I think we're on to something. The scan shut down on me, when I rebooted I got an error message for a fraction of a second... couldn't read it all, but it did have "Click OK to Terminate Program". Then it turned off. The second time I rebooted I got another BSOD, same message. This is the third reboot, everything seems to be ok, ran everest as soon as booting was completed. Here's the report. Quite a difference in the temperatures! So now, the question is how to cool it then right? I will check the cooling forum. I was looking at that last night, out of curiosity and found the one about refrigeration...

Thanks for your help EVERYONE! You are all terrific!

Attached Files:

47. abri

abri MajorGeek

Consider the forum a book of information where the pages are not all sorted and put into the right order.
    :)
    I just looked at Everest myself and noticed it doesn't support Dell, so I hope you don't have a Dell. Will be happy to hear if your problem gets solved!
    abri

P.S. Where do you find the temperatures when you run Everest?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  48. TimW

Cpu temp is way to hot .....Have you cleaned it out? Is the cpu fan running? Is the heat sync on the cpu loose? How many fans are in the system?

49. nancyHEIDE

nancyHEIDE Private E-2

Yes, this is definitely in the wrong forum!
    Nope, I have a gateway.
    I ran a report... the temps are found by scrolling down a few pages to SENSOR... I honestly didn't know what I was looking for until I just played with it.

GOOD NEWS! I tried to blow as much dust off as I could, you should see what temp it is running at now! I even did a virus scan without it shutting off on me!!!! PROBLEMS SOLVED... another success due to MajorGeeks. You guys should get an award for this site!

PS. My virus scan did pick up and fix two 'objects': Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.GPZ x2. Not sure how much of my problem was due to this, but I can say that most of it was due to overheating! It was almost boiling... I have attached my most recent Everest report, the temps are 50 degrees less now!

THANKS. THANK YOU! MANY MANY THANKS!

Attached Files:

50. TimW

Sweet ......a little house cleaning goes a long way!! Keep us posted ....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds