HP Pavillion dv2000 problems - any suggestions?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcadam, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

So yeh, turned on my laptop in class today and the screen was very dark, like someone had turned the brightness all the way down. So obviously I checked this and didn't work.

I could make out the very faint windows loading screen, and the welcome screen. But then to my shock, the mouse wasn't functioning (there's a button by the touchpad to turn it on and off, and the orange light indicates it's turned off - was illuminated orange once I got to the welcome screeen).

Managed to use the keyboard to try and do a system restore (that was hard lol) and it didn't work.

The screen error happens as soon as the laptop is turned on and shows the HP post screen.

Any ideas??

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Running on battery or ac?

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What was the screen error and how old is the laptop? Think maybe the power supply is going? Can you find another cord to try? If I recall, they had issues with a lot of them on some of their models.

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

It's barely a month old.

And the screen just looks like the brightness/contrast has been turned right down so can barely see.

I don't think it's power related as it was completely charged up on tuesday night and this just happened yesterday. I can hear the lovely xp tune when I login too, I don't think it's a power issue.

Any ideas to the mouse problem too? I haven't tried an external mouse yet.

6. tomo359

tomo359 Private E-2

I have had the exact same problem with my HP Pavillion DV 2045 ea laptop.
    Even the mouse pad stopped working and orange light came on.
    I am sending it to HP because it is still under warenty and Pc World were i bought it told me to send it to them so they will collect it.
    Do you think it is a problem with HP themselves or do you think we are just both unlucky.

7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I think it's a problem with HP, friend of mine has the exact same laptop as me and it takes up to 10 minutes to shut down, he's had it a few weeks. I should be getting mine back this thursday or next week :)

8. tomo359

tomo359 Private E-2

I have sent many emails to HP and they keep saying they are sending someone round to collect it, thenm i got an email saying it would be collected within 2 working days (that was on tuesday) then i got an email on wednesay saying they would contact before they would collect but i haven't even given them any contact details apart from my address and email so i gave them my phone number and have had no reply since, so i don't know what is happening. I thought HP were surpossed to be good with customer support they they are really not that good. I hope they collect the laptop soon. I would like it back before christmas, but at this rate it maight not even have been collected by then.:rolleyes:

9. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I went into Comet last night and HP don't seem to be even to diagnose the problem - the screen's broken, therefore change it surely??

*sigh*

10. tomo359

tomo359 Private E-2

I don't mind if they replace the screen as long as they don't charge me as it is still under warrenty. But at the rate it is taking them it will probably be out of warrenty by then.

11. tomo359

tomo359 Private E-2

Did you get charged when they collected your laptop, or did they say they would charge you?

12. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

No because I took it back to the store where I bought it from. I'm glad I did buy it from a store now because I can take it somewhere and also see the people in the face that I'm dealing with.

13. mattingl

mattingl Private E-2

This is a common issue with the Dv2000s the problem is either the lid switch or the inverter board on the LCD. I am almost 100% sure that its the lid switch. What happens is that the switch breaks in the position that the laptop is in when you shut the LCD and it thinks that it is closed at all times. And to conserve battery power is shuts the backlight on the LCD off. If the problem occurs intermittently then it is the inverter board. If you fell that you can take the laptop apart then all you have to do is replace the lid switch (easier said then done) or if you don't care if the backlight stays on then you can just remove it which I would recommend I work at a HP refurb facility and this is by far the most common issue with the DV2000 followed by the top covers and hard drives. And I am going to tell you that some of the most experienced employees have a hard time keeping the lid switch from breaking once they have replaced it. And if you do replace it you will see why once you have taken it out . For help I would suggest that you download the PDF file for your laptop which will tell you step by step on how to remove anything that needs removing from your laptop.

14. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I've left it to HP as it's there and has been for over 3 weeks now.

15. tomo359

tomo359 Private E-2

When i took my laptop to PCWorld were i bought it from they said they could not do anything and we should pass it on to HP. I was really annoyed with this because they should take responsiblity for the products they sell.
    A few shops seem to do this. I bought a Nintendo DS from Woolworths and the first thing they say is if there are any problems do not bring it back to them but contact Nintendo which is stupid.
    Anyway, i emailed HP once again and they replied saying they have passed on my case as urgent so hopefully something should happen soon.
    They are really slow though, i first contacted them in November, its now Janurary and it is still sitting in my room in its box ready to be taken away.

16. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Got the call from Coment - supposed to have it back this week :)

hueydewey - thanks for the info, that's interesting to hear - maybe I shall mention this when I complain about their service - it's nearly 7 weeks and they quote 28 days (4 weeks) so I think that is awful service.

17. kamilla80

kamilla80 Private E-2

Hi! I have now the same problems like you guys,
    can you help me a little and say how it was resolved in yours cases??
    do you know what was wrong with screen because because i have to diagnost myself to know how much it may cost

18. juisyjuice

juisyjuice Private E-2

Just FIXED DIM Display. Very easy to do. JUST Read!!!!!

Wow, I had the same problem (orange LED for touchpad and DIM Display) so I hooked it up to an external monitor and used it like that for a month because I had given up trying to figure it out. Today I stumbled upon this forum and read the thread and tried what Mattingl said, to just remove the Lid Switch. So I downloaded the Maintenance/Service guide for the DV2000 click this link pood.elion.ee/download.aspx/11490 and followed Ch 5.21 Display Lid Switch Module. All you need is a regular Philips Screwdriver (make sure bore ain't to thick). I follwed the directions up until I got to Display Assembly. When I got there, I continued until I reached the end of Step 8 in Display Assemble, which is

8. Remove the two black Phillips PM2.5×5.0 screws 1 and the
    two Phillips PM2.5×7.0 screws 2 that secure the display
    assembly to the computer.

When I got to that point, I didn't feel like removing all that other crap so I did a shortcut. YOu see, if you read ch 5.21 you can see what and where the Lid Switch is. So I followed the Lid Switch wire to see where it was connected at, and noticed that I could see a little piece of it under the aluminum housing. On page 127 of the guide it's that little piece you see on the right side if the LED Board Cable in the picture. I just used a really tiny Flathead screwdriver(you can probably use a paperclip) and wiggled the connector until it was disconnected. So Once you remove the keyboard all you have to do is disconnect the Lid Switch cable, that's it. I figured I rather just disconnect the Lid Switch rather than remove it. I then put back together the laptop and powered it on and what do you know. My touchpad works like a charm (no more orange crap) and my display is as bright as ever. All in all, it took me 45 minutes and that was taking my time. This was also my 1st laptop to ever take apart. It was very easy, and do I mean very easy. I hope this helps whoever has this same problem. It's alot better than sending it in to HP and waiting months to get it back. Thanks a bunch everybody, you helped me fix my laptop.. I am so happy now.

Jesse

Attached Files:

19. kamilla80

kamilla80 Private E-2

thanks juisyjuice

I couldn't sent my laptop to HP because i am in Europe and I picked it up from service 2days before you wrote.
    i wasn't sure if it was only lid switch but it was. i think i paid too much for just taking it out and now ok my sreen is bright but laptop doesnt work when I close lid so better turn off laptop than keep it open not using.
    but they did something with right button on touchpad - it doesnt work probably i have to change my windows (they told me that).
    and i have to visit them again because my keyboard is not put on correct - so only problems.
    my lid switch is broken in plastic bag and they dont have new one :(

have fun with yours HP :)

20. juisyjuice

juisyjuice Private E-2

hey Kamilla, sorry to hear that it was too late for you to fix this yourself. would've saved you alot of money. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? As for your situation about the screen staying on when you close it, just go to Display Properties and change the screensaver to Blank (whch basically turns it OFF) after 10 minutes or so, hard drive after 15 minutes, and set the laptop it to hibernate or sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity or so. It works perfectly for me.

As for your right touchpad button not working, they probably did some shoddy work putting the laptop and cables back together after removing the Lid Switch. Probably just a loose cable. You could probably fix it yourself in about 30 minutes. But do at your ow risk!! Everything was prettty simple when I did it, maybe 10-12 screws to unscrew in all. And by the way, what do you mean they told you to "change your windows"?

21. kamilla80

kamilla80 Private E-2

hi :)
    i changed my display properties but i dont know what is wrong because even that after that time sometimes it doesnt go to 'stand by' or when i change myself for stand by position after many times after 10 or 15 minutes it comes back to normal position itself (laptops again turn on itself).

I went to HP service but they really dont know well that model of laptops.
    I am in Poland and here HP have been selling another series Pavilion 6000 since last August or September, although it is the same almost.
    so I paid 50$ for just taking out that stupid tiny switch, it is much here even in USA it is not cheap.
    I have a lot staff which i dont need on my laptop and i have to remove but even that guy suggested to install again my windows but always i dont have time, my brother is good in computers so it is his job.
    bye

22. tomo359

tomo359 Private E-2

I went to PC world were i bought my hp laptop from and anfter alot of talking they let me pick a new laptop free of charge and if it was cheaper than what i paid for the HP one then they would give me the difference in money. I thought this was great. I now have a Compaq (I know they are still made by HP, but my computer is compaq and it works fine) and i saved over £200 so i also bought a new laser printer.

23. riico

riico Private E-2

Re: Just FIXED DIM Display. Very easy to do. JUST Read!!!!!

hi juisyjuice, i had the same problem with my pavilion dv2325. I follow your instructions and right now, my laptop is functioning normally.

Very very very thanks juisyjuice, you are the best

Sorry for my english

24. juisyjuice

juisyjuice Private E-2

No Problem Riico. I am glad I could help.

25. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Wow my old thread brought up?

Best to start your own in future :)

26. dr_strangelove

dr_strangelove Private E-2

Hey man, thanks for the advice!! i got so frustrated with the backlight issue that i bought myself an LCD monitor, havnt been able to use my laptop as a laptop for about 4 months now. was looking for instructions on how to clean the heatsink for my dv2000 when i found this thread. Thanks your advice my laptops working beautifully!! thought the least i could do is thank you, so, Thank you dude! merry Christmas and a happy new year.

P.s. do you know of a quick way to get to the dv2000 heatsink and clean it?

27. juisyjuice

juisyjuice Private E-2

Thank you. I'm glad to have helped you doctor-Strangelove. As for the heatsink I'm not sure how to clean it, but you could use that guide to help you dig further I guess and figure out how.

28. sanmor8

sanmor8 Private E-2

:clapI Had The Same Problem And I Disconnected Lid Swith Cable From Motherboard And Now Every Thing Works Like A Charm

Many Many Many Thanks You Saved Me So Much Time Also Can You Tell Me Which Site You Got This Solution From?

God Bless:clap:clap

29. juisyjuice

juisyjuice Private E-2

I got the solution from this thread, user "Mattingl" suggested just removing the Lid Switch.

There was no directions on how to do this so I started researching how to do this. I found the Manual and from there tried to remove the Lid Switch. In the process of doing this, I came up with the simple solution of just "DISCONNECTING" the Lid Switch insted of removing it.

I then wrote step-by-step directions so other people who have this problem could fix it without doing as much research as I initially did.

I am glad that you have fixed Laptop and can now enjoy it!!!

30. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, its here to search and will remain in the archives. but lets stop posting to such old threads ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds