Missing CD Rom Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dclauson, Nov 30, 2006.

1. dclauson

dclauson Private E-2

Sirs:

I have the following error message on my CD RW/Combo drive:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" In the Driver Details file, I can see the drivers listed. (Not sure if they are all there though.)

The drive is on an IBM T42. It is a Hitachi HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC 4242N. I've tried looking at IBM and Hitachi's web sites for the driver files but have had no luck.

Your advice (as always) will be followed and appreciated.

Best,

DC

2. kjb125

kjb125 Private First Class

operating system??

3. kjb125

kjb125 Private First Class

4. dclauson

dclauson Private E-2

Thanks kjb125 for the pointer. I had tried this already. When the scan invokes, it discovers the drive but then immediately posts the error 39 message. Somehow it feels like i need to reinstall these drivers but I do not know where to get them or the proper way to do that.

Any thoughts?

DC

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

6. dclauson

dclauson Private E-2

Key TimW:

Thanks so much for the pointer. Have definitely determined that it is a registry issue. As the driver files all tested fine.

Any other thoughts welcoe. Thaks for your hep...

DC

7. TimW

See if this helps:
    System Cannot Access CD-Rom, CD-Recorder or DVD Devices
    If you uninstalled and reinstalled Nero in XP, or did an upgrade from a previous OS to XP without uninstalling Nero first, this is a known error (for both Adaptec and Nero). There is a problem caused by an association created in the system registry between some Adaptec driver files and the CD file system drivers for Windows 2000/XP. If the Adaptec driver files are renamed or removed, then the system will loose access to any CD drive (CD ROM, CD recorder, or DVD)
    Check here before trying the fix below
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q270008&ID=KB;EN-US;Q270008
    IMPORTANT: The following contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. If Windows XP won't start you can restore the registry by rebooting while pressing the F8 Key. Select "Last Known Good Configuration". Or you can use "System Restore" from Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools.

1. Uninstall all CD Burning software from the system.
    2. Go to the RUN line and type in Regedt32 and press Enter.
    3. Go to the following registry locations and delete the key values for UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS (Do NOT delete the entire 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BBFC1-08002BE10318 key just right click the individual keys and select Delete)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BBFC1-08002BE10318}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BBFC1-08002BE10318}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. Close out of Regedt32.exe and reboot the computer.
    5. You should have access to your CDROM drives after reboot

Make sure you create a System Restore Point before you make changes to the registry.

8. dclauson

dclauson Private E-2

Tim:

That did it! Thanks for the pointers and the advice. Chalk up another one for the Major Geeks. God I love this forum...

DC

9. TimW

Cool .....cd/dvd issues can be tough to track down ....glad it worked.:)

10. IloveMac

IloveMac Private E-2

I have the same problem too....

I have window xp though.. and a hp pavilion zv6000

My cd rom driver just dissapear out of nowhere... ( although I notice that it still on my computer but it have a yellow exclamation on the symbol)

but yeah it also said (Code 39) on mine that Window cannot located the program it might missing or corrupted...

so what do I do?

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Same thing as listed in post number 7 of this thread...

12. IloveMac

IloveMac Private E-2

Ok I got a question it might be a stupid one..

after I enter the regedt32.exe

It goes on saying this:

2.Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Do I need to find these Key or I am gong to automatically see this key when I click the folder staring with HKEY_LOCAL_Machine

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm attaching a screenshot. Do yous ee the upperfilters entry to the right?

Thats where you will find it.

Attached Files:

14. IloveMac

IloveMac Private E-2

woah... I dont think so...... oh my god is this mean there's something wrong.. major wrong than I though I have....

I'll post the screenshot.... on what i see on my registry

where did you find the (4D .....) because on when I enter the regedt32.exe

this is what I see on my computer ( folders)

-HKEY_Classes_ Root
    -HKey_Current_User
    -HKey_Local_Machine
    -HKey_Users
    -Hkey_Current_Configurations

15. IloveMac

IloveMac Private E-2

I also notice when I click the Hkey_local_machine under data Category is said ( value not set) :(

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Look at the bottom of my screenshot, that is the path. the registry editor views thing like a file explorer, in tree view. Just simply expand it out.

17. IloveMac

IloveMac Private E-2

I got it but afraid to do it... lol

18. IloveMac

IloveMac Private E-2

Ok so basically delete the upper filters and the lower filters value right?

19. TimW

Yes....

20. IloveMac

IloveMac Private E-2

ahhh i want to do it but I am afraid to..

:(

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

make sure you backup the key before removing it. Right click on the folder on the left side and choose export...

Its your call. You don't have to delete the upper and lower filters values, but if you actually want to fix your issue...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds