Outlook Express-could Not Be Started.

Discussion in 'Software' started by lgcaisse, Dec 7, 2006.

1. lgcaisse

lgcaisse Private E-2

Can anyone help me. I'm baffled. I am getting the following message:
    Outlook Express could not be started. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure your disk is not full or that you are out of memory. 0X8007045A.
    Followed by: Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE>DLL could not be initialized. OE might not be installed correctly.
    I am running XP Pro SP2, IE 6.0 SP2, and OE 6.
    I cannot find any *.DBX files at all.
    Please help me.
    Larry

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

If you have already tried a repair install (try the repair install if you haven't) of IE6 (which contains OE6) then try this:

Start> Run > Regedit
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.

Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled

Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]

Exit Registry

3. lgcaisse

lgcaisse Private E-2

Yargwel, Before I try anything I am backing up my harddrive. I have 2 college students that have a ton of info that can't be lost. Can I get back to you? Larry

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Of course!!! :)

Ask anything you like. Even if I can't help there are plenty of others here and at least one will probably know the answer (though I'm not saying which one! :p )

5. lgcaisse

lgcaisse Private E-2

Yargwel, Thank for the help. It took awhile for everything to come back. I had to get another drive and used Norton's GHost to clone my HD. It was quite a chore but all is well in PC land. I had to reinstall SP2 about 4 times. Kept getting errors and not finding files. Thank you so much. Larry

6. lgcaisse

lgcaisse Private E-2

I knew something was wrong. In applying the updates IE7 got installed. I never asked for it. It is definitely different. I want my IE6 back without the troubles of reapplying fixes. Larry:rolleyes:

7. lgcaisse

lgcaisse Private E-2

Again, all is well. I just uninstalled IE7, (didn't like it), with the remove programs in control panel and IE6 was restored.
    Thanks again. Larry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds