Drive Wiper?

Discussion in 'Software' started by toehead410, Dec 10, 2006.

1. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

I have an old (400mHz, 64MB RAM, 4GB HDD) eMachine that I want to completely wipe the drive. It will no longer complete a boot up (safe mode or otherwise). I can not get it to recognize the original system disk, but it will partially (not enough RAM) boot up from a Knoppix disk I recently created (with the help of some of you Geeks). I can not even get to a command prompt. A long time ago, I used a small program from a CD that would wipe a drive clean without a completed boot. I guess the disk contained the bare minimum resources it needed to start a system format. Can anyone recommend such a disk wiping utility that can be used from a CD? Free of course is the preference.

I am hoping I can use the original system disk with a clean drive.
    Also, I would be open to other suggestions if you have any. I put the hard drive in question into my newer machine as a slave and it was recognized during the boot process but does not show up in 'My Computer' so that I can tinker with it there.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

3. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

To be burned to CD as an image?

4. cr.Gena

cr.Gena Private First Class

5. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

System Restore on a eMachine eTower 400i

Drive wipe was successful but did not overcome one of the issues that I wanted it for. After wiping the drive, I put in the original system disk for a restore. I tried both Restore with Format and Restore w/out Format. I got this message both times (just like I did before I wiped the drive):
    Anyone have suggestions to force the restore? Alternative free source OS (suitable for a child) that will operate on 64MB RAM?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds