Restart Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by muskybob, Jan 3, 2003.

1. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

I am still running Win98SE and have a problem with "restart".
    The system starts to reboot, gets about half way through it and ScanDisk comes up with the message stating that Windows was not shut down properly.

I have gone thru the system start up commands by holding down the Ctl. key during reboot. I get as far as the enter key on the WIN command, and ScanDisk comes on. It goes thru its cycle and the system continues to reboot with no more problems. I've updated all the critical updates and updates for Win98SE hoping there would be something there for me.

Any more ideas? This boot camp is tough!!!

2. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Its a long time since I run Win98, but if memory serves me correctly, try downloading BigFix and using the Windows 98 update service it gives. (Click the Bigfix Fixlet site, then subscribe to Windows 98). This will then throw up little annoyances like this that it finds, and will give you a simple one-click option to repair/download/delete the offending bit.

If I recall correctly, using Bigfix it threw up a thing about Windows 98 "Always run Scandisk on reboot" error, and one click later it was solved!!

Give it a go, and remember BigFix is for life, not just for Christmas!! :D

Hope it helps.

3. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Thanks for the info mutz_nutz_uk. I downloaded it and subscribed to Win98 but it hasn't done anything yet. I rebooted and the same old thing happened. I'll give it a couple of days before I uninstall it, maybe time heals all wounds. Yeah, right.
    Have a good night.

4. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Still having the problem. Has anyone had the same problem?
    What's the answer?

5. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Help!!!

6. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

7. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Thanks, but I've already downloaded & installed the latest critical update for Win98SE IDE Hard Drive Cache Package. No luck

8. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Tried the link & downloaded. NFG, still does the same thing. The motherboard I have is : Asus CUSL2-CB Black Pearl Special Edition. Thanks for trying.

9. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

If there's another way to do I'd rather do it that way.

I don't know what the heck I'm doing when it come to messing with the BIOS. I heard that once you flash the BIOS there is no turning back to previous settings.

10. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

MasterTech,
    I tried clicking on the link you provided & came up with Asus Update File.
    In that file are two folders, Asus Update & Probe. I opened the Asus Update folder & clicked on the Update icon it brought me to the ftp website, but it gave me the message: unable to access file on remote server.
    I didn't want to open the Probe folder without finding out what to do next.

11. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

I unzipped it, ran it and came up with the same message: unable to find the file in remote server. The same thing happened last night when I ran it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  12. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Yes, firewall. I'll try shutting it down and using the Update Utility again & see what happens.

Hey, I just noticed I was promoted. Coooool. I got a long way to go.

Tried it, got the same response: unable to find file on remote server.

I'm about ready to give up and just live with the scan disk running whenever I reboot. It doesn't do it when I shut down & then restart.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2003

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds