Security Certificates

Discussion in 'Software' started by Conklin, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Conklin

Conklin Private First Class

Help needed, and I'm not sure how to explain the problem.
    I looked at several references I have, but found no help.

My adult daughter called having problems when visiting web sites, and at every turn being denied access or purchase priveleges for lack of appropriate "certificates." She wondered what to do.

She had contacted a well known commercial site (Lillian Vernon) that sells childrens clothes, and at every click of a tab, was asked about certificates, and shown a sign that said she had "chosen not to trust the vendor, etc.". Apparently other sites pose the same problem.

My sense of it is that she has the sensitivity of some phase of the security system set too high, but that may not be so. As you can tell from my groping to understand and explain, I don't really know what is wrong, or what to tell her.

Might there be something enabled that should be disabled?

Your help would sure be appreciated.

:( Bill Conklin

2. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

It sounds like security settings too high.

Click START, then CONTROL PANEL then INTERNET OPTIONS
    (If Windows XP then you got to go to Internet and Network button first)
    Look for the tab at the top that says SECURITY. Mine is set to MEDIUM (Default) and is easily secure enough.
    Next, look for PRIVACY and again, MEDIUM (Default)
    Next CONTENT tab. DISABLE content Advisor (if enabled) and click CLEAR SSL STATE
    Finally, just to be sure, click ADVANCED and click the RESTORE DEFAULTS button. Re-boot the computer and enjoy!

This should (hopefully) sort the problem.

Good luck.

3. Conklin

Conklin Private First Class

It didn't solve the problem, alas.

I thought that would work, and I called her and talked her through the steps. But it didn't solve the problem. After she had done those things, she rebooted the computer, and went to some of the sites, and still the demand for certificates continued.

She lives 2000 miles away, which adds to the difficulty.

Has anybody got any other ideas that might help?

Bill Conklin:confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds