Uninstalation of Win98SE

Discussion in 'Software' started by Toke, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

I want to uninstall my win98se without disturbing the rest of my HD, how do I go about this ???????? Have an Athlon XP2000/Jetway 830CH mobo /60 gig HD/128SDRAM have scoured message board and Micro$oft $ite.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Boot to dos and type this at the c:\ prompt

deltree windows

and then hit enter

this will delete windows directory from your system and thus remove windows. NOTE that doing so will delete your favorites and your "mydocuments" folder and essentiall will delete all data held with in the windows folder and sub folders. Back up what you need first before you do this.

3. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

What does 'without disturbing the rest of my hard disk' mean? If your OS is on a partiton then there is no reason for the other partitions to be disturbed.

You can uninstall win98se only if it is an upgrade to win95 or win98 (original). Otherwise you will have to just use the 'deltree windows' and 'deltree progra~1' commands from the DOS prompt. Then reinstall win98se from the original cd.

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Non-Uninstall

Tried as suggested the prompt (deltree windows) in Dos but have bad command appear each time, so other suggestion (deltree prog ? 1') the symbol where the question mark is unavailable I have the following appear | its showing on the keyboard with the hash key but doesn't come up have tried every key but still canna find. What am I faulting at ??? thank-you for your time. KJ

5. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

The ~ key is the 'tilde' key. It is situated to the left of the key 1.

If you are getting bad command on typing 'deltree windows' then navigate to 'c:\windows\command' folder and run the command from there.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

best to copy the deltree file out of the command folder to the root of the c: drive so you don't get an error during deletion.

7. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Mayhem

Hello all, managed to use the deltree as suggested although I ended up formatting the whole of C Drive. The problem now is I am trying to install Win ME (yes I hear the gasps) during instalation all files are copied, when reboot is required | go into Cmos and change boot sequence to HDD1 first, this then runs through until I get 'Disk Boot Failure' message and of course if I put the Floppy disk in and choose 'Install without CD Rom Support' I return to the "A" command and promptly do the OOoooozlum bird trick by all begin again in ever decreasing circles installing ME and getting the same result. If all files are copied why am I being asked to put the floppy boot disk in and why will it not First Boot from the HD. ?????? Thanks again in future anticipation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds