XP Home (possiably) Boot Floppy

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ok a mate of mine wants a floppy disk that he can boot his pc from, and delete/move/copy files on a NTFS system. There seems to be no way to make a boot disk that will run in DOS or whatever that will do that. All XP offers is a password reset disk and that dosnt help much! Ive seen the XP Home SP1 boot floppy things on this website but im not sure its the right thing. i was looking at DOS ntfs drivers, but noone seems to want to give me a full blown read/write disk access program/driver. isnt there any way to just do this!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

he didnt really say, but ive found Ultimate Boot disk which looks like it will do the job, but not sure if the NTFS reader has the WRITE facility. He needs to be able to delete files as well as copy. Im not totally sure as to why just now, but whatever it is, i think ive got him sorted.
    If it cant write ill just have to go find another one that does. NTFS dos interfaces that include writing as well as reading?

4. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

I dimly remember reading somewhere that moving/deleting files externally from an NTFS file system can screw things up. Which is probably why there are no easy-to-find apps to do it, and DOS can't access NTFS. MA's reader/copier is probably the best you can do.

5. ched

ched Private E-2

the mega boot?

OK this thread seems to address an issue I've been pondering. Years ago a good boot floppy, and at most 1 good diag. disk and 1 good anti-vir. disk were the core of my best tools. With XP (at least the NTFS partitions) the be all end all "boot disk" seems to be out of reach. How do you boot and scan an NTFS computer with a boot CD? ... I've seen and made the boot floppies with ntldr, and boot.ini files ... but they only point to where to load xp from on the hard drive? ... is there a down and dirty quick check for this type of problem?

6. Goku3000

Goku3000 Private E-2

bootable ntfs

What I'd like to know if anyone can help. I'm trying to make a boot disk for NTFS
    that would allow me not only to read and copy in ntfs, but to allow me to edit folders and files in hex. I emphasize Folders as well, because Windows traditionally doesn't allow you to edit its folders script. If there a progam that help me make it that you know of let me know.

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Welcome to MajorGeeks.

This thread is really old. Please start a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds