Cable Nut

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikeo56, Jan 7, 2003.

1. mikeo56

mikeo56 Private E-2

I downloaded cablenut and I can't seem to get it to work; worse I've lost my original registry setings.
    Any advice on what values I might manually plug in to speed up my connection and/or what my original settings could be? Thanks, Mike.
    Win 98,Lucent Win Modem #2,Intel 82439TX,233Mghz,

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

A lot of programs show your default settings and\or allow you to apply default or modified settings. Try TweakDun, it allows this:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=497&cat=13

Heres a screenshot where you can see the default settings boxes I mentioned. Note the boxes where you can edit as well as the 3 check boxes to the lower bottom right that says default, optimum and previous.

[​IMG]

3. mikeo56

mikeo56 Private E-2

cablenut

I downloaded Tweakdun. It will not install: says It needs Visual Basic 6.0 Runtime files, offers a site to download the files and they will not download. Thanks, Mike.

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

not for dialup..

6. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

But then it has to be the ISP which has a lousy Dialin-Connection, since I can ping most internet sites with 1500 MTU, so the routers creating the Internet can handle this size.

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

8. mikeo56

mikeo56 Private E-2

Cablenut

I did download the runtime files and tweakdun did install and run O.K. I also noticed that after I go download classical iliterature with Winmx, I can connect my modem to my freenet server but I cannot get mail nor browse. I must restart windows, before IE will work. Wonder what thats about? Anyway< thanks for the help, Mike.

9. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

It seems that the key to installing CableNut is to first and foremost back up the registry.

I just downloaded CableNut and I am anxious to try it out. What I am not anxious to do is screw up my registry as I do not know how to fix it. So I had better not let it get screwed up in the first place.

10. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree with Snakefoot, re DrTcp.
    DrTcp is the simplest way of changing settings. It is NOT for testing varying settings, though. For any program that alters your Internet connection settings, MAKE SURE you write down each, and every, setting, especially your INITIAL settings, so you can get back to the original settings if you stuff things up. Bazza
    ===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds