Memory Utility

Discussion in 'Software' started by BB-JW, Feb 19, 2007.

1. BB-JW

BB-JW Private E-2

I work in retail and customers are always asking me how the memory is configured on laptops. Is there a utility that will show how many slots a mother board has and how the current memory is configured that I can put on my flash drive?

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to Major Geeks.:) ;) :wave
    First up, it is not recommended to use your email address as your nickname.
    Think of another nickname and maybe ask the moderators to change it for you.

Secondly, I don't think EVEREST is a "no-install" program, so is not really suitable for a USB stick, unless you want to install it the download on every PC/laptop you test.

An alternative might be to go onto the Net to www.crucial.com and do an on-line scan.

Most (All?) laptops have only 2 memory slots :cry :( and brochures should say whether 1 or 2 slots are filled.
    Nowadays, on nearly all new laptops, only 1 slot is filled and 1 is spare.
    No guarantees on this, though. RTFM. :D Bazza

===

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

As for a 'no install' program: try 'Aida32'... it looks almost exactly like Everest and it is stand alone app; ideal for a USB thumb drive (it's on mine ;) ) It does basically everything that Everest does and you can download it right here from MG......

hopperdave2000

5. bigbazza

Thanks, hopperdave, for the alternative (Aida32), :major
    I'll download it and copy it to my USB stick, as well. :cool Bazza

PS:
    Link to Aida32, for anyone interested.
    AIDA32 - Personal System Information 3.93
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html
    Baz

===

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  6. BB-JW

BB-JW Private E-2

Thanks all :) I am checking Everest and Aida32 now, looks like Aida32 is a good fit.
    Also thanks, bigbazza, for the screen name tip :D

7. bigbazza

You're welcome.;)
    Nasty people, not MG members of course :), may have used your email address for spam. :( :p Bazza

===

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I believe PC-Config is available somewhere on MG. This small program will tell you all the stuff you need and has the advantage that you can also load it onto a boot floppy or boot USb stick or bootCD.

If you look in the system info downloads section you can try various info progs.

Studio T

9. bigbazza

It always helps to give out links and pertinent info, if applicable.;)

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I knew some geek who knows more than I would tell all, thanks Bazza.

Studio T

11. bigbazza

You're welcome. :D
    The easist way to find out if a program is available on Major Geeks is to use one of my Favourites.:major

http://www.google.com/custom?domain...V:#336699;VLC:663399;AH:center;BGC:FFFFFF;LBG

Just substitute the name of the program you are looking for my entry of 101clips and press <enter>. Save this Search to your Favourites for future use. Bazza

===

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks for the heads up Bazza that's a useful tip.

I do think however there's something to be said for offering a choice, especially if I don't have (much) personal experience of the program I am suggesting. I tend to use commercial test programs, or rigs for many of these things and obviously can't suggest someone spend £800 on PC-Check to test his memory slots. I am trying to pick suitable MG alternatives. I have also found some very useful little utilities in the MG sections myself and I am very grateful for them. Helping is my way of puting something back.

Studio T

13. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Here's nice little utility Great for usb drive
    Monitor/Check, temps & voltages plus fan speeds :)
    (no install needed just unzip to folder before putting on the USB)

Nextsensor http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4988

14. bigbazza

Don't forget to check out the "Must Have Free downloads" at

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=20

for lots more good FREE stuff. ;) Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds