Fatal System Error in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by lsdientz, Feb 21, 2007.

1. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

Hello all. My sister-in-law just brought her computer over to me and asked if I could repair it. She told me it had the following error message upon boot:

"stop: c000021a fatal system error. The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of ox0000005. The system ahs been shut down."

Ok my question is I have never seen this error message on any computer and have checked the windows site. From what I understand it is telling me to do a repair using the windows setup floppy disks. Is this the only way to fix this problem or could there be an easier way :eek: ?

Just thought I would check with you guys before I delved into the realm of the unknown. Thanks.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try booting into safe mode (pressing F8 on startup) and choose Last Known Good Configuration.

Steve

3. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

Thanks, tried that but it still won't boot up. She neglected to mention the very first error message received upon boot is:

Floppy diskette seek failure. Strike the F1 kety to continue or F2 to run the setup utility.

I don't know anything about setup utility but asked her what she did and she said F1. Are either of these two errors connected in some way and what in the world could have happened to cause this?

She has the os reinstallation cd. Do you think I will have to reinstall the os? I believe that will wipe out all saved info on hard drive true? If so can someone walk me through backing up?

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Select F2 make sure that the floppy drive is not enabled in the setup.

Steve

5. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

good. did that and now we are booting from the hd. I can get the system to boot in safe mode with networking capabilities but cannot do windows update. apparently can't do windows update in safemode even though I can get on the silly webpage. Maybe I should give up on this and tell her to pay someone fix it. Might be over my head. Although I do enjoy a good puzzle.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

There are a few things you can try but it will be just guessing. If you want to use the recovery cd and save time that is up to you. Most give pretty detailed instructions, I don't think you would have any problems with it.

Just a couple of things to check that will not take long.

1. Look under programs or in the control panel and see if there is a program named GoBack installed. If so, try to run it first. If that doesn't work, uninstall it from the control panel. Reboot the computer.

2. When you were able to boot into safe mode (I assume) did you have any other options, like Last Known Good Configuration? If so, choose that and see if it returns you to normal mode.

3. Find out if they installed any new software before this started and remove it also.

Steve

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OK the bad news
    C000021a error is the hardest to diagnose as it comes from a fault occurring in the gap when the windows loader is handing over from the command line controller to the Graphics USER INTERFACE (GUI). This means that some of the F8 options such as last known good, won't work because the startup hasn't reached that stage. nor will the debugging option work for the same reason. That is why Microsoft tell you to reinstall. The fault is always caused by a faulty driver, either hardware or software. I have seen it with the latest crop of antivirus programs (internet security)

Has Sis installed any new hardware or software just lately?

Now the Good news
    You can reach safe mode so in principle it is possible to fix it without re installation. this however can take a lot of patient investigation which may take a deal longer than a repair install. The main drivers not installed by safe mode are for the graphics, networking and for antivirus.

To see more about recovering from this error see

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=117730

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=117659

A repair install will preserve all you data but some programs and windows service packs not on the cd will need reinstallation afterwards. For the proceedure see

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=116231

Studio T

8. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

I will ask about installed software. Didn't think about that, thanks.

Also will check for goback. Tried last known good configuration, doen'st work. I can boot it up in safemode with network caps.

Last question: I have a winxp program that came with my pc. Can I use this to repair her pc? I went out to microsfot site and can find an exe that creates floppys to install xp. However, her new dell doesn't have floppy.

Thanks both of you for all your help. Will let you know outcome. I see many others are having the same situation so if I can fix this will post how I did it and what suggestions helped.

9. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

Studio T, I read your post under http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=116231

Seems pretty straight forward. However where you say "any xp of the same type." I have a windows xp home edition. On top of my sis's computer it says windows xp media center edition 2006. This going to be stupid question but want to make sure. These two are diferent types and therefore I cannot use my disk to save hers right?

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

In general the 'recovery' disks provided by manufacturers will not do. Dell ones, however, are generic and will do. The Dell one is better for you because you are not bothered entering the Windows CD key onto Dell machines. They will not work with other makes.

Other than that you need any genuine Microsoft XP home Cd to repair install XP home .......(similarlyXPpro)
    The CD you use will remove any service packs and reinstall them so an old XP CD will remove sp2 and not reinstall it. Obviously a version up to date will reinstall SP2.
    Part of the way The process will prompt you ffor the windows key enter the one pasted on the side of your sister's case, NOT the one from the CD and presumably your pc.

Takes about 45 mins.

Studio T

11. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

Thanks for advice. I will try that later this afternoon when I have some quiet. Loud kids not conducive to repairing problem pc.

I will post and let you know what happens.

12. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

ok here's what happened.

First, she didn't install any programs that she knows of. She didn't download anything that she knows of.

Second, she doens't have program called GOBACK. Last known good config doesn't work. Dr Watson doesn't work.

Lastly, tried to repair. However, the repair cd from dell was w2k but she had windows xp on the pc. Came from dell like that????? confused . So tried to use my windows xp bronze cd. but could not do a repair as she has media edition not home edition. Anything I missed?

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You two best ask round all your friends for the loan of a media centre cd, or perhaps sis will have to go back (no pun) to Win2000 - I prefer I anyway.

Studio T

14. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

15. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

It is a dell but no luck with spacebar. Backed up documents to flash drive and had to reinstall windows xp. Another relative works in IT department so he was searching for product key. Wanted me to give him mine. I don't know if he was just tired or thought I was that dumb. He didn't seem to be joking. Anyway - now just have to download a few drivers from dell site and should be good to go.

I'm going to clean her computer via READ ME RUN ME FIRST post found in the malware forum, as I don't think she keeps her virus scan or security updates current.

Thanks for all your help. I have learned alot (mostly what doesn't work LOL)

16. rmruk

rmruk Private E-2

It's OK, you're doing fine. So if I understand correctly, you can boot into safe mode. Have you tried a system restore to before she had the problem?

17. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You have a lot of experts helping now, I shall watch with interest.
    Let us know what happens when the pc goes back on the net to automatic update.

Studio T

18. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

yep, didn't work.

Here's what I tried for anyone who is having the same problem or anyone who is currious.

1. Last know good configuration didn't work.

2. Noticed crazy error message about floppy boot. Computer was set to boot to floppy drive first. Funny she doesn't have a floppy drive. Changed that back to hard drive.

3. There was no program calle goback or system restore. She said she didn't install anything new in her computer. After thinking I couldn't do

4. Could get through in safe mode and even in safe mode with networking capabilities so backed up her documents on flash drive. Tried to do windows update but that wouldn't work. (see note at bottom about this).

6. Dr watson didn't work either.

5. Finally decided to do a repair to os. Put in dell restore disk and lo and behold it wasn't xp which was loaded in her system it was w2k. So brought over my xp disk only to find out that she doens't have xp home (which I have) she had xp media center 2006. So that wouldn't work because I didn't have a product key (only for the one installed on my pc).

6. It is a Dell computer so I tried the spacebar, again no luck.

7. I told her that I wouldn't be able to do it right then but was going to come back this weekend and go through the following thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525 and this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 She then had another relative install xp on her system. He called for my product key and I said I couldn't give it to him because I was using it so he was going to call around and see if someone he knew purchased old product keys.

I haven't been over there yet so I don't know if it actually worked or not. Will see tomorrow and let you know.

19. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

by the way - even though I changed startup to boot via the hd it still gave me that silly floppy error. If she did in fact get windows xp installed hopefully that disappeared too.

20. lsdientz

lsdientz Private E-2

Thought I would give all an update. Activated her windows. Did the items in the read me run me post. Scans came out clean. Several spyware items detected with spybot and ad-aware (not counting cookies of course). Deleted those. Downloaded AVG antivirus and performed check. No viruses detected. Ran through several items under this thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25834. Performed windows update. Several items found. Installed Windows XP SP2.

Adjusted Active X controls. Replaced ms java with sun java. She doesn't want to use firefox so up to the point of downloading and installing a firewall and making a maintenance list for her to perform routinely.

So I would say all systems a go and thank you again for each of your help. Twas really appreciated. Especially as with your help I could do this all for her and she didn't have to pay someone to do it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds