How do you cut holes in the metal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urbmd, Feb 22, 2007.

1. urbmd

urbmd Private E-2

I need to fit my new enermax psu in my old Dell case, but the openning for the ac input cable is slightly off. What tool is good to cut the metal on the back of the case?

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Dremel is the best, but watchout for the metal debree. If you can remove all electronics, including the power supply. Another old staple for these situations is something called a nibbler, which takes small bites out of thin sheet metal. Much neater and cleaner process in terms of excess metal, but the bites don't look pretty, and are pretty ragged and need deburing with a file (which brings us back to the metal dust problem).

3. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Private E-2

Any particular bits to use for the Dremel to cut cases with, recommendations???

4. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

Dremel is a brand not a specific tool. Unless Bill has in mind that handy little all-in-one. What kind of cutting do you want to do urbmd? A pic or something would be helpful.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If I read you right you only want a new cable entry hole?

Hand operated chassis punches are made for this and do not introduce swarf. Q-max is a brand that comes to mind. They come is sizes from 1/4 inch to several inches, round square, oval and oblong. Ask at your local toolshop (or college workshop?)

Studio T

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I use a jigsaw with a fine metal blade if the cut is anything more than a few millimeters if it can be ground away I use an angle grinder,if you need to make a large hole drill a hole first then put the jigsaw in the hole and cut

7. urbmd

urbmd Private E-2

Thanks for the above. I was not too worried about appearance so I just used a nibbler as the first post suggested.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds