motherboard goosed or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stingercrs, Feb 27, 2007.

1. stingercrs

stingercrs Private E-2

I need some quick advice on this one, my brother being a genius, decided to network up 4 computers last night: -

1. Rubbish little, desktop, micro atx bit of junk
    2. A full on ATX station
    3. 2 repugnant Apple iMacs.

All of this he done on one adapter from a socket in the wall.

When he turned on the big machine today he said that it was going on loops i.e. windows start up would appear then back to POST and so on. He then said that the thing just died, no power at all to machine.

It may be related, probably not though (probably more of a virus thing) but the cack little micro machine will no longer running stating that there are now system32 files missing.

Back to the main machine though. I swapped out the power supply with a spare 500w ATX PSU, it now gets power but its still doing the Windows Start-up to POST back to Start-up then POST etc.

Has the twat fried the motherboard or is it something that may be quite easy to fix?

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

:cool

Surely you need to swop your brother out not your power station

Post again with more complete description of what was connected to what and how and we may be able to help

Studio T

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Is it starting windows AT ALL!?!? Like a splash screen, etc. or is it getting to the point at the end of the POST where windows and the hard drive should take over but instead it is restarting post!?!?

If windows is trying to boot...then I would attempt a repair/clean reinstall, as the MBR could be screwed, but if it isn't even trying to start windows...then I would say your hard drive is malfunctioning.

Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds