IDE and EIDE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ekhan, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Hello i have a Shuttle Hot-637P Motherboard and it has an IDE hard drive.
    Can i use a EIDE hard drive on any computer with an IDE thing??

2. DeweyBad

DeweyBad Private First Class

Uhhh IDE and Enhanced IDE came out in the 1990's and they will work together and be totally compatible.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yes

IDE refers to 'INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS' which means it is a hard drive with electronics that responds in a standard way to standard commands. all modern drives are IDE, (includinding SATA, SCSI )

You attach an IDE drive via a standard interface called ATA
    the AT attachment interface. There are flavours of ATA ATA 1 through 6

EIDE is synonymous with ATA2

If your drive is actually EIDE or ATA2 you will have no trouble connecting it to the older connections, which I take it are the 40 wire thicker ribs.

In 1998 the 80 wire faster ATA4 and up were introduced. These are also called UDMA33/66/100/133. If you connect these to the older cable they will usually, but not always function at the slower speed. However you may need to upgrade the Bios to recognise the larger disk sizes. There is usually a limit on this upgrading.

Oh and make sure you get the master/slave jumpers set correctly if you are adding an extra drive.

Hope this helps

Studio t

4. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Thanks for the help, ive just never heard of EIDE i only IDE SATA but this was the first time i had come across an EIDE
    Thank you for the help though

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds